Sunday, January 21, 2007

So much fun!

I had so much fun today - just like a kid again!

I did a 20k bush run down to Bobbin Head and back with the striders 6ft training crew, but that wasn't the fun thing (that was just hard, but necessary, work). Tiger Angel did her weights session, then tried out a new swim squad, and then ran a gym session for a client, but I'd say that they all fell into much the same category...

Nup, the fun came when she gave me another swimming lesson this afternoon. I couldn't believe it. All up I swam about 600m, which I know is just part of a warm up for some of you, but for me, that's flying! I started to cramp a bit after about an hour (not sure exactly how long - I wan't paying any attention to the time), so we called it quits, but then we started just playing around in the water like kids; you know, stuff like how far can you swim under water, and trying to do tumble turns without ending up in the next lane. (Actually, TA comes out perfectly in line. It's me that gets directionally challenged :-)). I don't recall how long it is since we just mucked about. Really should do it more often... Mind you, TA was a pretty tired bunny by the end of her 4th session of the day.

Fun aside, the most encouraging part was right at the end when TA described a breathing drill where you breathe after 1 stroke, then 3, then 5, 7, 5, 3, 1, etc, so I thought I'd give it a go. Bearing in mind that I'd been breathing unilaterally all session (when I remembered to breathe, but that's another story), I was amazed to find that not only could I do it, but it was probably the best I'd swum all day too! Wonders, once again fail to cease :-)
____________________________________

So what else this week? Working backwards, on Friday morning I accompanied TA on her tempo session (10 min warm up, 4 min tempo, 2 min recovery, repeat, and 10 min cooldown). TA was surprised by how fast she went on the tempo sections - probably a min/k faster than she expected. Good session!

Thursday was a hill sandwich at Run Club. 4 x 400 track, 3 x Callan Park hill (about 250m @ a 1 in 10 grade?), finishing with an 800 and a 400. I was slower on the hills than I would have preferred, but at least I was consistent (0:54, 0:54, 0:53). TA didn't run this session, as she was running it. Hmmm. Let me rephrase that. As FreeSpirit is on holidays, TA was conducting the session, and thus she didn't take part in it. :-)

Tuesday is mid-week-longish-run day, but I shortened it a bit to 12k because I slept in a bit. Average pace 5:26, so not one of the most spectacular runs I've done.

Monday's hills session was cancelled as I was up at the hospital with Micro and Angel, who were both having all 4 wisdom teeth out. Ouch! I guess that's a pretty good excuse for a day off hills :-)

Gnome

3 Comments:

At 1:09 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I'm perplexed by all this swimming technique training Gnomey. Even if Cox's is deep, it's only 30 metres wide and breastroke does the trick ;)

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds like your swimming is coming along swimmingly :-)

TA recovered quickly from having her wisdom teeth ripped out!

 
At 8:59 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Geez Gnomey - more swimming?

BTW the Cox's was chest deep today (might have to get TA to give me a few lessons too) :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home