Saturday, January 27, 2007

Something new, something old...

I had a shot on Tuesday at that Hill Bounding I talked about recently. It was quite interesting. We have a small soccer oval near us with a very steep slope for spectators - probably about 20m up at marginally less than 45 deg. Turning right or left at the top of that leads you down a much more gentle 100m or so. After a couple of k warm up, I stretched and then started the session.

Very high knees & arm action, driving from heels on the ground to toes pointing down at the high point of the step, bounding up the slope but only moving forward very slowly (ie very small steps) so that it takes a little while to get to the top. As noted in the stuff I read (and also mentioned by Dr Pain when I talked to him about it), the heart rate goes through the roof pretty quickly, so it's not a session for people on low-HR training. At the top, run down the gentle slope, leaning down the hill and keeping the cadence high. The idea is to continue onto a flat area for a little while, but on this oval you just hit fence! :-) Finally, walk back to the start as recovery, and repeat.

I ended up doing 7 reps, as I felt good the whole way through. After I got home and cooled down, I discovered that maybe 7 reps were too many... The tops of my calves decided that they were going to spend the rest of the *week* complaining. Still, it's exactly the same spot that started to give me grief at the end of the Quarry Rd laps last week, so it looks like it's doing the right thing, and it'll definitely stay in the training repertoire (albeit with a few less reps).

So, that's the new. The old, alas, is that my back decided to go west again on Thursday morning. I got out of bed and could hardly walk. I still managed the ride into work (for some odd reason, the riding position was not uncomfortable), but I had to ring tiger angel and ask her to pick me up at the end of the day. Hence, no Run Club, and no Megalong to Pluvi that was planned for Saturday. I'm sure that run was going to hurt, but not doing it hurts more :-(

I had a chat to Dr Pain, and his words of wisdom were "see me 9:30 Monday, give it lots of warmth and lots of gentle movement, like water walking, running and swimming". Hence, I went to the pool on Friday, doing 10 min water running to warm up, and then swam with flippers for 600m. It felt pretty smooth, though on the last 50 I started to notice a bit of tension in my back. (I did try a final 50m without flippers, which was an utter joke. Any semblance of form went out the window as self preservation and a desperate desire to breathe asserted itself. :-) ).

So here I sit, feeling miserable about missing my private Megalong massacre, but still hopeful of doing it next week (or the week after, or... :-))

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 6:37 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Sorry to hear about your back Gnomey. Hope you are ok to join us for some madness at Megalong next weekend. Take care of yourself!

 
At 11:40 am, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope your back can find 'east' soon Gnomey.

That's sad about missing the massacre. Megalong is patient - it's been there a long time :)

 
At 4:54 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Hope the back is better soon. Maybe the hill bounding had something to do with. I sometime find my back aches on hills if I don't focus on supporting myself with my core muscles.

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Looks like you better get that "not quit" quote back up on the whiteboard.

Hope it comes good soon mate - BTW ta for the photo's on Saturday ;-)

 
At 9:44 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Hope the back mends quick mate. Great pics from Sat by the way ! :)

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

I'll third what the guys said about the Saturday pics, fantastic! I plan to nominate that one of The Dog and Razor at the finish line for the 2007 CR Awards. It was absolutely brilliant and so captured the moment.

Fingers crossed all went well at Dr Pain's yesterday. With a bit of luck you'll be back on the road soon. After my recent little layoff due to my back injury my speed certainly was affected but not my endurance. And that's what you need for 6ft.


"The miserable have no other medicine, but only hope" ... William Shakespeare :-)

 
At 5:25 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

Good luck Gnome! I need you to be in shape so I can catch up with you and the lovely TA when I come down again soon!

 
At 5:52 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

How's the back injury, Gnome? Megalong Valley will still be there for you to run when the injury has gone!

 
At 10:23 am, Blogger Jen said...

Hey Gnome, how is your back going? I missed my first first to Megalong too today :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home