Friday, January 13, 2006

Answers to questions

GoGirl,

I'm heading for Canberra. Accommodation is booked, but I haven't entered the race yet (on the basis that the hotel can be cancelled, but the race is no-refund - I'm totally committed, but there's always the chance that I could get injured).

Wobbly,

Putting aside all the "I just want to finish..." stuff, I had set my goals as;
  • 4 hours is acceptable
  • 3:45-3:50 is really happy
  • 3:30 is ecstatic zone :-)
On the basis of my 1/2M time, McMillian predicts 3:32, but of course that assumes best possible training & experience at the distance, etc. Hence the 3:45-3:50 as a realistic goal. However, I found out recently that a runner whom I really respect (and who's faster then me over all distances at least up to the half) has only once got below 4 hours, so I'm starting to think that "just finishing" is now my "acceptable" goal...

I have a large whiteboard next to my PC. Across the top are the numbers 18 down to zero, below that are the dates of the end of each of those weeks (zero = 9th Apr), below that are the distances for each week, below that are various races (SMC, CR5k, etc) to help with my planning, and below that is a line I stole from 2P's website - When you have exhausted all you can do, all that is left to do is NOT QUIT.

sfG

6 Comments:

At 1:52 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Its good to have an A and B goal for a marathon, and even a C goal.

But I reckon we should all use 2Ps line as our D goal and if we achieve that we have to be happy!

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Good on you for taking the leap sfG. I will take great interest in your journey to Canberra. I'm thinking that "just finishing" is an entirely acceptable goal in your maiden marathon. Time is largely irrelevant.

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Thanks sfG! I am really hoping to squeeze in just under 4hrs (if the planets are aligned and the weather is kind etc) and was hoping you would be around my time but I doubt I will be able to keep up with you. Keep up the training mate!

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger Horrie said...

Just remember not to get too far ahead of yourself Gnome. If you continue to train well and hit the starting line in good shape, anything will be possible. Start off at a nice and steady pace, enjoy yourself and the time will take care of itself. I am sure you will run well.

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

sfG, that's great to hear you're "doing" Canberra! Believe me, for this one....just aim to finish & enjoy the experience! Worry about "time" next time!

See you there at the start if not before!

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Canberra 2006 HERE WE COME!!!! The atmosphere is going to be so much fun! Where ver we are we can all cheer each other on!!! Woo Hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home