Sunday, January 08, 2006

Oh my aching nipples...

I'm just in from my Sunday long run, and I had to divert half way through to my Sister-in-law's place to get some tape for my nipples. Why is it that after 3 years of running, they've all of a sudden started hurting?? Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Saturday was a 9.2k loop around the local area at 5:20 pace. Nothing startling. This morning I set the alarm for 6am so that I could get a 20k run in before church. However, I awoke to the unmistakable sounds of solid, set-in rain. Now, I have mentioned a number of times in the past that I like running in the rain but this morning, in the absence of anyone to run with, I curled up and went back to sleep. Forgive me father, for I have slacked off... :-)

Anyhow, I got away at about 5:30 this evening and ended up doing 21.7k in 2:02 on a pretty hilly course (are there any other kind around here?). I have to admit that in the 3rd quarter, I started to doubt my ability to handle the marathon (again!), but I picked up again after that and came home strongly. Some how, I have to get a grip on my thoughts while I'm running (or have a partner to run with).

Total for week was 58k. I'll back off a little next week before stepping it up again.

TA is loving her trip so far. Here's some quotes from her emails...

While eating lunch, Bora was amazed to hear that we had caught motos (motorbike taxis) down to the local markets by ourselves yesterday arvo and then eaten spider. He said we were very brave so tonight he was taking us to a restaurant to eat ducks eggs which still have the formed duck in them.

and

We were visiting 3 villages to ... see the wells that Graeme has been instrumental in organising. These wells give the people fresh drinking water whereas they used to use water we wouldn't even want to wash our feet in.

I get this mind picture as I read her emails that she's just soaking in the whole experience, but if I know TA, she'll be giving much more than she's getting :-)

sfG

6 Comments:

At 10:23 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

21.7k in 2:02 - that is a good solid run! I hope the tape did the job - otherwise the shower is going to be oh so painful!

 
At 10:42 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

Enough of these negative thoughts!

I have no doubt of your ability to run a marathon and nor should you. Now get out there and train for it!

(Oh, and I'm really glad that TA is having a great time!)

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 11:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an excellent book about running psychology that I think you might need to read.

We can all see how well you are running. Stop being so hard on yourself - trust me, I know where you can end up :-)

Remember the days when a half marathon was something you had to train hard for? Now you are running 21km as a training run. Magnificent.

wt

 
At 1:17 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Where has TA gone and how long will she be away?

Good run BTW!

 
At 1:26 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Hmmmm, would Bodyglide help with the nipple thing, it seems to work everywhere else.

You'll be fine for the marathon. Just think, we're all in this together!

Thanks for those little quotes from TA's emails, what an experience she must be having. The duck eggs bit reminded me of something out of Survivor.

 
At 8:35 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Bodyglide yep - worked for me on Saturday night :-)

Of course you can go the distance - you are a Quarry Rd veteran!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home