Wednesday, September 12, 2007

...improbability level 2,568,381 to 1 and falling...

...normality will be reached just as soon as we work out just what is normal anyhow...**
I realised tonight that I could do a plain and simple training update, and the last time I blogged like that was at the beginning of July. Wow. Yep, normality does appear to be poking its head up over the parapet, so here goes.

Over the last two weeks, I've managed to do up over 40k. The last time I managed that was one week in June, then one in January, and I have to go back to November last year when I was working to the Central Coast Half (my best run ever) before I can find consistent training. Wow again. So, last week;
  • Monday - Hills session with tiger angel. 200m hill, 7 reps with walk recovery, times ranged from 1:24 to 1:16. The aim of these is not so much for strength as a normal hills session would be, but to get some work into her body without long aerobic sessions. In other word, a hard-case walk/run.
  • Tuesday - rest
  • Wednesday - 11k at 5:30 pace around local streets.
  • Thursday - Cycled to work (25k) but Run Club rained out in the evening.
  • Friday - 1.4km swim with TA
  • Saturday - Hmmm. My diary for Saturday just says "Wanted 10k; did 10k; got bored". (5:35 pace). I was thinking during the run how much I didn't want to do 20k on my own on Sunday when it occurred to me that Sunday was SMC's first race of the season, and there'd be sure to be someone there doing the half at a pace that I could fit in with. So, on...
  • Sunday, I fronted up at Smiffo, and had absolutely the best run with Johnny Dark and Seagull. 1:44:19 for the half. Just sub 5 min pace, chatting but keeping each other honest speed-wise at the same time and spurring each other to achieve more than we thought possible. Running at its best!
So much for last week. This week (so far)...
  • Monday - we repeated the hills session, but this time did 8 reps at 1:11, 1:11, 1:11, 1:11, 1:14, 1:12, 1:13, 1:12. Much faster and much more even. TA was very happy with that lot (and quite happy that they were finished too, I might add :-) ). She says "next week, NO HILLS!".
  • Tuesday - rest
  • Wednesday (today) - 10.5k at 5:40 pace - rolling (& large) hills.
Plans for the remainder are cycling, Run Club, swimming, another 10k and 20k on the weekend and then start the taper off for the Sydney half.

Speaking of the half, I offered (somewhat late) to assist with pacing the 120 minute group if needed, and this week Katie asked if I could take the 110 minute group. Prior to last Sunday's run I would have said no way, but it gave me the confidence to (take a deep breath and) accept. Hence, on Blackmore's morning you'll find me with a red flag on my back, shepherding a group around the new course. I have to admit to still being a bit scared...

Enough about me! What about tiger angel? Well, apart from Monday's hills and Friday's swimming, she's been doing 90 min walks every few days interspersed with weights & bike sessions at the gym. She still gets pretty tired, but that's expected to improve a fair bit over the next month or two. Dr Pain (the magical medicine man) is really pleased with how her hip is working, and today's good news is that she has regained a little movement in her wrist, courtesy of some massage & manipulation (and sudden cracking noises) by the aforementioned Dr P...

Gnome

**with apologies to Douglas Adams

6 Comments:

At 5:41 am, Blogger Jen said...

Wonderful to hear that you are both going so well!

Gnome, I am certain that everyone aiming for sub 110min will greatly appreciate your generosity & time in sacrificing your race to assist them.

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

Gonme, you may have picked up the fact that I'm over the moon about your decision to pace the 1:50 group. I was secretly hoping you might give it a go and I'm really looking forward to lining up with yourself and Marlz (another PHHS old boy) on Sunday week.

I'm glad that both of you are heading the right way health wise.

You certainly know how to appeal to nerds - I picked up the Hitchhiker's reference immediately.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

You guys looked to be doing it so easy on Sunday. The pics of the three of you finishing together really captures the best side of this sport of ours.

If you can yak all the way and run sub 1:45 imagine what you can do running slower. The 1:50 pack are in very good hands.

Great news about TA. She must cover a fair bit of ground walking for 90 minutes!

 
At 9:26 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

So she has enough movement in the wrist to wag her finger at you?

Smiffo sounded like an excellent run. The red balloon eh? That was the bastard I struggled to catch last year. This year, I'm wimping out to the Bridge Run :)

 
At 1:04 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Good to see normality is gradually returning. Good luck with the half and I have no doubt you will do yourself proud.

Love to TA and see you when I get back from the travels in a months or so.

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger miners said...

Hey, now there's some great news!! Glad to hear things are starting to feel a bit more like a running life is returning

a "heart of gold" quote fits nicely for both of you btw ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home