Monday, August 13, 2007

C2S - how good was that?

I've learned a lot over the last 5 years or so. I know so much more about efficient running. I know lots more about how my body is reacting to situations and most importantly, I know much more about the tricks my mind plays on me.

Yesterday could have been a complete disaster. Let's see...
  • Tiger Angel was not running.
  • My back got sore sitting on the ground for 90 minutes before the start.
  • It was hot.
  • I was running by myself.
  • I've had stuff-all training this year, so I could have blown up any time.
  • I was starting from A2, so I had to dodge people pretty much all the way.
Can I think of any more whinges? Maybe if I try hard I could, but that's the trick, isn't it? Finally, finally, I'm learning to focus on the positives. Not some kind of Pollyanna pretending, but a serious appreciation of just how good it all was. Sure, I would have preferred to be running with TA, but it was so exciting to see her in the cheer squad and I was so proud of the time I'd run simply because she saw me run it! Sure, my back got sore, but lying down for a few minutes fixed that. Yep, it was hot, but there was more water available than I could drink and, yep, I was passing people all the time, but that also meant that I could encourage the cool runners I passed and I got to see all sorts of Borats (ok - so maybe that was a negative :-) ).

I sat with friends during the wait. I talked to 'friends' I didn't know along the way. I ran the last 4k with Will which made the murderous half-marathon along Campbell Parade just that bit easier. I met friends in the finishing area. I stood with friends at the cheer squad. I sat with friends in the pub...

In fact, I think this just about sums up the day. First thing in the morning, I joined one of the toilet queues. Uncle Dave was about 3 people ahead of me. Ewen was a few people behind. The bloke in front of me turned around and said "Isn't it amazing. 60,000 people here and you meet people you know", and I thought to myself Nup, I expected to!

Gnome.

p.s. the blokes at work wanted to know why I had let Dickson Marwa win, so I explained that as he was a visitor it was up to me to do the courteous thing... :-) :-)

7 Comments:

At 12:45 pm, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Congrats Gnome. Great run all things considered.

You certainly looked good afterwards.

 
At 2:19 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

You summed up the feeling of the C2S so well there Gnomey - its just so much fun hanging out with a bunch of great people! Running is just one tiny part of it.

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger miners said...

I guess that's why we all love the C2S so much. Great to see you again - and I apologise a thousand times over for missing out on a hug from Sue :)

 
At 8:34 pm, Blogger Jen said...

It is a very special race & a very special day - and unlike most races, running is only a tiny component of the experience.

 
At 10:56 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

An excellent day. Nominate as race of the year always! A good run considering your lack of practice since before Six Foot.

 
At 9:00 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

The people you meet queuing up for the toilets!

These days I can't fault anything with C2S. It's just a brilliant day.

Thanks TA and Cheersquad. What a way to enter Bondi!

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Great way to view things.. I'd like to run it again one day just so I can be positive :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home