Saturday, May 26, 2007

I don't mind coming back...

...if only I didn't have to come back so far! I've been taking it carefully over the last 2 weeks, gradually increasing the distance run, and never running two days in a row. My biggest concern at the moment is not my back or bad leg, but that I'll run imbalanced because of them and get everything out of whack. So far, so good. :-)

The first four runs were all in the range 5 - 8k, all around 5:30 to 5:45 pace. Gradually felt stronger after each one. The real test was to come towards the end of this week. Firstly, on Thursday night we had a track session; 4 x 400, 1200 (picking up each 400), 4 x 200 and finish with an 800 (picking up second 400). I went out strongly but sensibly on the first 400, feeling a bit breathless by the end. Around the second 400 I was starting to feel more than breathless. I had to slow down or I wasn't going to make it through the evening. Basically, I suffered through the rest of the 400s and the 1200, feeling more and more dead.

Luckily, there isn't time in 200s to run out of breath, so I was able to run them strongly, which allowed me to analyse my style and get it a lot more efficient. It's amazing how much you (I) forget with time off. Putting that more efficient style in to play on the remaining 400s made a big difference. I wasn't a lot faster, but I was a lot more comfortable.

I had started at 1:30s for the 400. By the end of the 1200, I was doing 1:50s! Ugly. The final 400s were around the 1:40 mark. Considering that I use to do 400 reps consistently at 1:20, that would have been pretty depressing if only I hadn't been so happy about the fact that I was back running! :-)

On Friday, I was (as Tesso once put it) pleasantly trashed. There were no niggles, just a general tiredness and that general muscle soreness that comes from working hard. This morning (Saturday) I headed off to the CR5k challenge. The challenge for me was to a) run 5k at a steady pace, and b) run 5k back home again. On the basis of the runs over the last week, I decided to start on 26 minutes (ie just over 5 minute ks) which meant that I was running by myself. 2:00 at the 0.5k mark indicated that I'd taken it out a bit (a lot) hard, so I carefully pulled back, remembering that I just wanted an even run the whole way. Well, I got that in spades!

Splits were 4:31, 4:35, 4:30, 4:35, 4:27, giving me a finish time of 22:43, and a pace range of only 8 seconds. No doubt, I was super pleased with that :-) :-)

Tux, Martina and Bayin were walking back (healthy lot of crocks we are), and though I was full of good intentions to run the second 5k, it didn't take much persuading (actually, none at all) before I abandoned that thought. Like Thursday night, I have no niggles, but once again my legs are trashed. In an odd way, it's a good feeling because it means that I'm working again, but I'm going to have another non-running day tomorrow - a swim looks like a good idea right now. In fact, sleep lookes an even better idea right now, so that's exactly what I'll do! Farewell and goodnight! :-)

Gnome

10 Comments:

At 11:10 am, Blogger Ewen said...

That's an excellent come-back 5k race Gnomey!

Good use of the track session too :)

Thanks for the SMH photos. You did really well - a great collection there. The group scene in front of the pub is a classic.

 
At 12:47 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo! Excellent to hear that you are back on the road again. So happy for you!

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

Great to see you coming back Gnome!! You sound so happy too - good stuff!!

Mouse

 
At 4:28 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

A very promising 'comeback' in the 5k yesterday Bruce.

Keep building.

JD

 
At 5:06 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Heee's baaaack :-)

Great run yesterday Gnomey. All that swimming etc sure kept you fit.


PS Nothing like a good thrashing is there ... I've just witnessed one first hand at Suncorp Stadium :)

 
At 7:58 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good to have you back Gnome. A nice run.

 
At 11:41 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Really pleased to hear you are back. Hope to see you soon.

Let's hope TA is back to running soon so you can start running together again.

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

I like the idea of being 'pleasantly trashed' :) sounds like you had a great 5k and it's great to be reading your running reports!

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

Sweet run, Gnome.

22:43 - man, that's pretty hot for a comeback run!

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 3:01 pm, Blogger miners said...

I agree - sleep wins over everything at this time of year

 

Post a Comment

<< Home