Saturday, May 05, 2007

Happy Birthday to us!

This is a celebration post, and we've got at least three things to celebrate! First up, this blog is two years old. I'm not sure what we were expecting when we started it two years ago, but I think that we got it pretty right in the opening sentence of the first post.
This blog is basically about our running and the people that we meet through running (and the muscles that we pull by running :-)
How true did that turn out to be? There's plenty of running talk, and plenty (sadly) of pulled-muscle talk, and also plenty of talk about the wonderful people that running has brought into our lives - so thank you to all of you who have enriched us over the last couple of years.

Our second celebration point is that I went to see the neurosurgeon yesterday, and I've been given a get-out-of-gaol-free card. As of today, I can start to run again! I have a 5% chance of rupturing the disk again (slightly higher if I partake in high impact activities such as running), but as he said, I could also rupture it rolling over in bed. Now, seeing that running and rolling over in bed are two of my favourite activities, I don't think that I have much chance! :-) :-)

One thing is for sure though. I'm going to have to take it easy getting back into it. At the Striders 10k at North Head this morning, I jogged the 700m down to my marshalling post at the roundabout, and it damn near killed me. The jog back an hour and a half later left me puffing - and I think I was doing about 8 minute pace! :-)

Speaking of Striders, that leads me on to our third celebration point. Tiger Angel's running continues on its upward trajectory. Between her first and second 10ks of the year, she took off 1:44. Between the second and today, she took off another 2:48, leaving her only 2:45 short of her all-time pb, set almost 2 years ago before she got sick. Some things in life are tough, but TA makes it so easy for me to be so proud of her.

Gnome

7 Comments:

At 7:23 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I heard about that fantastic run from TA. Well done!

Congrats also on the blog birthday and training run Gnomey. No rolling over and going back to bed any more - you'll have to get out and run :)

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Ellie80 said...

i can't think of two people who deserve some good news and breakthroughs more! congrats TA and good new gnome! see you both back out on the track soon.

 
At 8:02 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on all three fronts Gnomey and TA. That's just fantastic news all round.

What a tough 12 months or so you guys have had but as evidenced by this blog you've both remained so positive. And its paid off :-)

 
At 10:58 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congrats Tiger Angel for a great run. Getting back some form, only a matter of time before you hit the PB again.
Gnome great news about the back, look forward to seeing you out again without camera.

Can we have you both running at Lane Cove next month?

 
At 1:38 am, Blogger Cirque said...

Happy Bday Blog! Congrats on the good news, but take care of yourself, y'hear?

 
At 7:19 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

All great things to celebrate! Congratulations the TA and gnomey household, and blog!

 
At 7:37 am, Blogger Sarah said...

Great news ... I'm sure you'll be running strong in no time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home