Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A pretty good Birthday!

Wasn't Saturday at Six Foot a great day? Even if you weren't there physically, reading all the reports on Cool Running takes you there emotionally. From the shouts and excitement when Fats appeared out of nowhere to claim the record till Horrie's grand entrance as the Grim Reaper, it was just a superb atmosphere. One day. One Day :-)

I spent most of the day sitting (of course) in the only spot I could find that would afford me reasonable photo opportunities, which happened to be just adjacent to the PA speakers. On on one of the rare times I ventured out of my seat, I walked in front of a speaker just as the announcer let out a bellow. Damn near deafened me, and I instinctively twisted and bent away from the noise. Of course, twisting and bending are two things that I'm not supposed to do, and my back repaid me instantly with pain to spare. Not happy, but later I noticed a strange thing. I could walk for longer without leg pain. Noice!

It appears that the shock movement actually relieved some of the pressure on the nerves, so that three days later, I can remain standing for as long as I like. My leg is still weak and I still can't make bits of me move, but for the moment, that's a small problem :-) I was due for another epidural injection on Thursday, but when I went to the Doc's on Monday, we decided that it wasn't necessary. What's more, I went swimming this morning for the first time in a month and did a k (with flippers). Apart from being more tired than normal, it went very comfortably. I'd call that a pretty good birthday present.

I have to remember that the underlying problem is still there and could return as easily as it went, so the appointment with the Neurosurgeon remains in place and I still have to be pretty careful. Regardless, as I sit here typing and listening to a birthday DVD (Elton John live - yes, I'm an old fogey) I'm a whole lot more relaxed than I have been for a while.

Gnome

7 Comments:

At 6:53 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Such wonderful news. That's just the best birthday pressie! Dare I say even better than the Elton John DVD.

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Great news, and I hope you continue to get more progress over the next few weeks.

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Fantastic news Gnome. Long may your progress continue!

It was such a lovely surprise to see you & TA at Six Foot. I can't begin to thank you both for all your support!

 
At 8:38 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

Happy Birthday from both of us!! Looking forward to seeing you out running again :)

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Excellent birthday present Gnomey! Good to see both you and TA out there on the weekend. Great job with the photos.

Next year. Next Year :-)

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger Robert Song said...

Nothing wrong with Elton John. It is just not for old fogeys. My 9 year old boy loves all his old music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home