Friday, February 16, 2007

It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Things got a bit ugly there this week. For some reason on Monday night, my back went entirely cactus, to the extent that the only way I could move on Tuesday (and I only tried it once) was by crawling. Lots of pain killers, no effect. Couldn't stand, couldn't sit, could only lie in one position (foetal). Not good. Getting to the Hospital on Wednesday wasn't fun, but at least I found that I could sit in the car seat for some reason. The procedure itself turned out to be essentially painless, but I had to lie completely still and on my front (which, as it wasn't my good friend the foetal position, was in itself rather painful). Added to all that, I stupidly lay with my good ear on the pillow, so that with the noise of the CT scanner, I couldn't hear the doctor & nurse. You should have seen me go through the roof when they unexpectedly slapped some cold betadine in the middle of my back! :-) I'm sure they do it just for fun.


Wednesday evening - no improvement. Thinking that it's all a waste of effort. I'm not impatient; really I'm not! :-)
Thursday morning - hmmm, I seem to be able to stretch a bit and sit up a bit.
Thursday evening - wow, I can walk to the other end of the house (provided I sit down again immediately).
Friday morning - gets own breakfast. Sits in office chair mostly comfortably for a couple of hours (working, unfortunately). Gets own lunch, but finds that there is still a limit to how long I can stand up (which is unfortunately shorter than it takes to make lunch).

OK. I'm still not particularly patient, but I'm trying to view it as a race where I've started at the back. I've already caught up to the sitters and I'm starting to make inroads on the standers. After that the walkers, then... Hey, it's all good :-)

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 6:06 pm, Blogger plu said...

HI Gnome,

Caro mentioned you had some issues. I am sorry to hear how bad it is.

Plu

 
At 11:20 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

HAng in there Gnome! Sounds aweful - but it is getting better right?

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see you've retained your sense of humour Bruce. :-)

Looking forward to seeing you pick up where you left off at the Central Coast Half last year.

JD

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger Jen said...

You'll be passing those pesky walkers in no time at all !

 
At 4:51 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

That's sounding promising Gnomey. Hope it's good enough so you can spectate from the standing, rather than the foetal position on March 10 ;)

 
At 5:35 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

How can you be so cheerful ... maybe its the pain medication :-)

We here up in Brissie are sending lots of good vibes your way. I hope they help, even if just a little.

Might see ya next weekend when the northern contingent hits the big smoke.

 
At 2:36 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Glad to hear there's some improvement. I hope you're overtaking those standers in no time. Take care.

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger miners said...

Great to see your personal positivity coming through Bruce. One mongrel of a ride you're going through - but we're here with you so keep updating us - provided you can sit at the keyboard that is.

All the best mate

 
At 8:57 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

sorry to hear about pain bruce...I know you can overcome it!! Take these words as encouragement...they come from a real doctor ( if count dr suess as a real doctor! )

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home