Tuesday, March 27, 2007

One step forward...

A while ago, I wrote
I'm trying to view it as a race where I've started at the back. I've already caught up to the sitters and I'm starting to make inroads on the standers. After that the walkers, then...
Since then, thanks to my little episode at 6ft, I've caught the standers, and as of this week I'm one of the walkers! Having been given the go-ahead to walk, I've been walking for about 1/2 an hour on the non-swimming mornings. Guess what? When you don't even walk for two months, everything just shrivels up. My shins ache just from the effort of striding out. Strange days indeed :-)

That's the good news. The less enticing news is that I went to my Dr this morning, and he's going to ring the Neurosurgeon to see if I should get into him more quickly. Although the pain has subsided, the leg weakness is just the same, and his concern is that the longer the nerves are damaged, the more chance of them never recovering. I'm trying not to dwell on it, but permanent leg weakness is a sobering thought.

There is a funny side though. When I was crossing the road this morning, I misjudged the available time between cars (I'm not used to walking across reads :-) ), and I found half way across that I had to get a hurry on so I broke into a jog. I was so wobbly and it was so comical that I burst out laughing at how ridiculous I must have looked. So here I am walking along giggling to myself when I look up to see a mother and child coming towards me, and she is clearly concerned about this giggling lunatic approaching her...

Lunatic Gnome :-)

5 Comments:

At 5:02 am, Blogger Jen said...

But you are our lunatic & we love you :-)

Seriously isn't it amazing how the little things (like running across the road) mean soooo much to us when we have had to start from scratch again. I guess it makes you (me) realise how easy it can be to fall into the trap of taking things for granted.

Looking forward to seeing you both this weekend.

 
At 8:59 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, scary stuff ... both the urgency to see the neurosurgeon and the giggling lunatic.

Sounds like the doc is really looking after you. Fingers crossed you can get in asap.

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

She was concerned because she hadn't seen a funny walk like that since watching John Cleese.

I hope you can get in early to see the nerve man Gnomey. That is worrying. I don't want you having to 'funny walk' 6' next year :)

 
At 12:47 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

846TaliMost peculiar momma...

I hoppe you get in there as quickly as possible - the last thing you want is any permanent damage.

Good Luck,
Ben

 
At 9:29 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

geez...a strange runner from Cool Running....thats unheard of!!! I suggest weetbix and muesli....i am sure it will help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home