Saturday, April 07, 2007

A blizzard of posts

How's this? Three posts in one day (although one was just a reprint of our Oz Ironman report from Cool Running). Anyhow, I thought that I should do a quick update on where my health is at.

My Doc rang back a couple of days after I saw him to say that he'd spoken to the Neurosurgeon, and he was going to stay back after his normal consulting time to see me. This disturbed me somewhat - I'm not keen on being of the slightest bit of interest to medical people. :-)

It all turned out happily - no surgery - and I just have to continue my non-running exercise. As of Thursday, I'm back and riding to work (I had a trial ride up at Port on Monday just to make sure). I covered the distance slightly faster than average, so that was good. I'm either walking or swimming every day (well, except yesterday and today :-) ). On Thursday, I did my slowest ever lap of the bay - 63 minutes - but I think that's as fast as I can possibly walk. On Wednesday, my fins were starting to hurt my feet, so I took them off after 900m and did 400 straight with no fins! This from a man who used to drown after 50. I told you Tiger Angel is a great teacher :-)

Summary? I'm totally comfortable in my back and legs, and I can walk and swim and ride. Only thing I can't do now is run, at least until I see Dr Pain again in a few weeks. He'd better have something nice to say (like... "yes, I see no reason why you shouldn't start running again"...), but I won't be holding my breath. He cares too much about my health to let me do anything toooo stupid :-)

Gnome

8 Comments:

At 11:16 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Let's see - you've now added swim to your regime. So will we see you making your IM debut oin 2009 ?
:-)

 
At 10:42 am, Blogger Tesso said...

A lap of the bay is 7k isn't it? So you are walking 9 min kms. That's fast! And its so good for your glutes etc.

Are you allowed to water run???

 
At 11:43 am, Blogger Superflake said...

9min k pace is fast walking. Glad you get to not have the surgery. Hope the waling can turn into running soon.

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Great to hear that you feeling so much better and I'll keep my fingers crossed that running won't be too far off.

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger Sarah said...

Sounds like things are getting better, I hope Dr Pain has great things to tell you ... :-) Thanks so much for your comments on my blog the other day ... so wise!!!

 
At 5:36 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

Sounds like a positive report, Gnome. I'm really glad of that. Neurosurgery is no fun at all.

All the best for a speedy recovery, and I hope that I get to run with you again soon.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope the news from Dr Pain is all good. By the way, you can walk faster than that! Try race walking - 6 minute kilometres are easy with the right technique :)

Congrats to TA on that fast 10k in the Domain! Also, well done on the IM gig - I agree, spectating is tough work.

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you continue to improve, Gnome. Does this mean you won't be there to help me home again at the SMH half marathon? Take good care of yourself & TA too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home