Friday, May 11, 2007

Hurts so good....

Well, one week after I was given the go ahead to start running (and after more than 3 months on the sidelines) I've run three times this week. Actually, 'run' is not really the right word for it - more like shuffle/walk/shuffle/gasp/walk... :-) :-)

It's a bit of a shock to the system. I've swum, cycled or walked almost every day for the last two months, but there's nothing like a little bit of running to find you out! On Monday I started with a walk 200m, jog 200m for 30 minutes. Surprisingly weary by the time I got home, even though I never raised a sweat. Wednesday, I extended it to 300m jog, 200m walk for 5km. Generally OK.

Thursday night at Run Club was a track session, which was just tailor made for me because while everyone else was running around and around and around, I could break it up between walking and running and still feel part of the group. I have a bit of a funny style at the moment - because of the weakness in my bad leg, my left foot slaps the ground at every step - but I think that I'm going to have to be listening to flick, clunk, flick, clunk, flick, clunk for a while to come...

I was pretty tired and a bit sore by the end of the session, but I'm feeling better today. Hammy's a bit tender, so I don't know whether to just swim tomorrow to give it a bit more rest or to have a gentle jog around the block(s) to remind it that it had better get used to this running lark! :-) Dunno. See how I feel, I guess.

Still, it's good to be back.

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 12:41 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

That's great news! Sure makes me appreciate the things we normally take for granted.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Good to see you back Gnome. Hope the running continues.

 
At 9:24 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Hey... flick, clunk, flick, clunk, flick, clunk, means you're running! Great stuff Gnomey. Keep taking it easy.

 
At 5:29 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Good to have you back Bruce.

JD

 
At 9:30 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Great news! Welcome back :-)

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

you guys both rock! great to see form and function coming back to you both! Congrats. Gnome: just wear an ipod when running and you'll never hear the flick clunk, and the beauty of it is others will hear you coming and get out of the way. Win win. (thats right..the glass IS half full! )

NTR

 
At 2:06 pm, Blogger miners said...

gee - we're back to talking about baby steps again mate! Best of luck getting back into it.

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

Bruce is running again!

Bruce is running again!

(Ben's workmates stare blankly at the strange man skipping around the office).

I'm very happy for you.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Thank you for your comment TA. My thoughts certainly have turned to using my resources to help the incredible Nepali people.

I'm just catching up on your blog. So much has happened since I've been away. Congrats TA on your fantastic 10k race - it has been inspiring to watch how you have carried yourself throughout your illness & I am very excited & pleased that you are almost back to PB times. Gnome, can't tell you how happy I am to see you that you have been given the OK to run again - great news on both counts !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home