Monday, March 17, 2008

Recovery

I'm in awe of the crazies who have been running vast distances since 6ft ("Oh, I've been taking it easy. I've only done 135km this week, not including the 10 x 2k intervals at 3:55 pace. Like I said - taking it easy...").

I, on the other hand, did a tentative ~4k on Thursday night (felt OK although heavy), an easy 5.5k on Saturday morning (felt OK although a bit heavy) and finally splashed out for an hour's run on Sunday night (felt OK although... :-) ). I'm pretty much committed to Canberra, even though I'm terrified of blowing up spectacularly. This business of doing back to back marathons is moving into totally uncharted waters for me.

On a much more positive note, I got to partake in one of my favourite hobbies on Sunday - watching tiger angel compete in a tri. This one was the Sparke-Helmore in Newcastle, and it was a dead-set beautiful place to run it. Pity it's so close to 6ft, or I could be really tempted next year. Luckily, I'm not totally insane yet :-)

The swim was an out&back & out&back course starting from the beach and rounding some flags on the beach in the middle. Strange, but it looked like fun. Unfortunately, a very large ship decided to take that moment to be dragged out of port, causing some significant waves. Add to that the tide running at its peak and an infestation of bitey things (that's the technical term), and the swim leg was maybe not quite as fun as it looked. Be that as it may, TA has discovered over her last two tris that the swim leg is turning out to be her best leg. I'm no super-trainer, but I have a hunch that's because she trains harder at swimming than the other disciplines. I might be wrong, but you never know... :-)

All up, she was hoping for 1:50 with a chance of 1:45, so hitting 1:48 made her muchos happy! :-)

As usual, I got to take lots of photos, of which this is my favourite.


Oh, and just what was this young Jimmy Barnes saying after the race?? :-)




Gnome

5 Comments:

At 12:25 am, Blogger Superflake said...

Well done on the Tri TA. Gnome just do some easy runs until you feel like running faster. Six Foot has given you enough base for Canberra. Don't be tempted to do anything long. 20k at the most would be it maybe this Sunday. You'll do fine at Canberra.

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger Jen said...

Gnome, don't forget that Six Foot was unchartered territory for you not so long ago :-)

Congrats TA on another successful mission accomplished. Looking forward to joining Gnome on coffee drinking/cheering/photograph duties at the Club Champs :-)

 
At 8:07 am, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Good job TA.

I am also amazed at those that can get straight back into it. I have noticed that it is mainly the ultra guys who can pull it off and as everyone knows - they aren't normal.

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

I reckon Flakey is on the money with his suggestion of 20k at most. I once did marathons four weeks apart and did something similar. The second one seemed a breeze.

PS I reckon he's saying "the last train out of Sydney's almost gone".

 
At 11:01 am, Blogger Ewen said...

"I'll be back in Bow River again"?

That's a great photo - love the shadow and the blurring of the asphalt.

Good news there on the sanity stakes. I hope you're not committed after Canberra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home