Saturday, February 16, 2008

3 weeks to 6 foot

As of today, I've run my last 70km week (well, for at least 4 weeks anyhow). The long slow taper starts tomorrow (of course for many of you, a 70km week is a taper :-) ). From now on it's a case of slowly drop back the distance and up the intensity (and most of all, don't trip over! :-) ).

Today's little jog was a 34k around the wilds of Bobbin Head. The part of the run from the end of Grosvenor Rd down to Bobbin Head is just gorgeous. Even though we were in the 23 to 30 km stage, I felt really refreshed by that section. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. It's quite easy because it is all either flat or downhill and it's mostly easy underfoot. Unfortunately, the run back up is a little less refreshing...

Things haven't run quite as according to plan for tiger angel. She's been nursing a cough for the last 3 weeks, and after the tri last week it was getting beyond a joke. One quick visit to the friendly GP later, she found herself in possession of Bronchitis and a lecture from aforementioned GP that any more training would see her in hospital with Pneumonia. He said that she was lucky to not have collapsed in the tri (she's made of tougher stuff than that, she is!).

Whilst she's still coughing intermittently, she's also starting to go stir-crazy which is a sure sign that she's on the mend. We took the dog for a 20 minute walk this evening with no apparent evil side effects. The Striders 'Equaliser' race next Sunday may be out of reach, but we've got a whole week to find out. :-)

Gnome

p.s. I just noticed a funny thing. I remember that back in 2006, I missed running 2000k for the year by less than 10k. Well, this January I had my biggest month ever, missing 300k for the month by just 2k. I really must start paying attention to these things before the month or year is finished! :-)

4 Comments:

At 9:55 am, Blogger Unknown said...

eek! 3weeks! Hasn't time flown!

Get well soon TA.
Hugs to you both.

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope you're back into it soon TA.

You're going well Bruce - the climb up from Bobbin Head is good practice for Pluvi. 3 weeks! Time to start my reverse taper ;)

 
At 12:35 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I would love to head out to Bobbin Head one day - that's one run that I'm really looking forward to doing (one day!)

Gnome, congrats on finishing that last of your 'training' weeks in such good shape. Enjoy the taper & look forward to a wonderful Six Foot debut!

TA, glad to hear you are on the mend. Training for GCHIM will be starting soon :-D

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I'd just love to do one 70km week!

Great to see you are getting ready for six foot and I hope TA is soon back from her illness. I can't believe her rotten luck with illness and injury lately.. makes me look positively healthy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home