Sunday, October 28, 2007

Back on the road (cough, splutter)

When last we left our intrepid heroine and her dashing manservant, she was suffering at the hands of her evil trainer, and he was suffering at the hands of... well, he was just suffering. What new problems will befall them in this episode of:
The amazing adventures of
Super TA and the Gnome wonder!

Last week, I was recovering from my back issues. Mostly they were fine, though some mornings I had to put a hot pack behind my back for a little while before I got going. I timed a 1k in the pool on Tuesday at 27 minutes which confirmed my assumption about my position in the pack at Nepean. I had a few days riding to work now I'm at Nth Ryde, and a few runs culminated in a 15k run on Saturday. Happy that the running is coming back together, even though it was only a 26km week.

This week, however, was pretty much a disaster. I got run over by an ugly virus and spent the best part of the week at home asleep. Back to work on Friday, still a bit under the weather, but by Saturday morning was feeling well enough to run with tiger angel in the CR5k (more of this later). I was half expecting to have to turn back early, but as it turned out, the 10k suited me fine and there were no after effects. Emboldened by this, I did a trial run from Pennant Hills oval down to work through the bush this morning (Sunday) and apart from getting lost quite a few times, I think that running to work once a week is going to be a viable option. Good end to a very ordinary week.

Tiger angel's weeks have been a little more successful. She's been doing a number of long walks (1.5 hour) as her time-on-feet element, plus the normal weights, swimming and stationary bike. In addition, Run Club last week comprised a 3k, 2k & 1k all at race pace (she ran steady 5:45's the whole time), and on Wednesday this week she did a trial 40 minutes on the pushie down at Homebush. The pain in her wrist every time she stopped or turned the handlebars means that it'll still be a while before she's back in the saddle in a big way, but it's a start! :-)

Finally, yesterday morning at the CR5k, she ran her first 10k since the hip blow-up at the herald half in May (5 months!). The 28:14 was very pleasing; she was expecting closer to 30 minutes. And so the progression continues... :-)

Gnome

p.s. I have to admit to starting to get a bit excited about this Nepean thingy. 3 weeks to go!

6 Comments:

At 6:47 am, Blogger Jen said...

I'm excited for you Gnome!

Sorry to hear that your wrist is still causing you problems TA but it's wonderful to hear that your running is going so well

 
At 10:17 am, Blogger Hamburglar said...

I'm getting excited too Gnome.

Is it only 3 weeks?

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger 2P said...

Godd to see things on the up & up.

 
At 3:37 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

TA is going well. 28:14 is getting there!

I hope there are a few other stragglers to follow by the time you get out of the water ;)

That's a nice bit of bush from Pennant Hills. There's a group that runs from there about 4pm Sundays.

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Good to see TA able to go the whole distance this month!

 
At 7:40 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Very exciting to see that you are both on the mend. I'm looking forward to your first tri report!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home