Sunday, January 15, 2006

A pretty good few days (for sfG, not TA)

TA is back (great rejoicing in the TA/Gnome household :-) ). When I picked her up off the plane on Friday morning she looked like death (slightly) warmed up, but she appeared to improve through the day. Unfortunately, things are two steps forward, once step back at the moment, but hopefully those two-steps will become three, four and five before long. I'll leave it to her to report on what it's like from inside the death mask, and also on why the physio has just put her on an indefinite running moratorium {muted sounds of extreme frustration from the background}.

Run Club on Thursday was a pyramid track session, with 10 minutes of 1m on, 1m off at the peak. I didn't push it, but it felt OK. However, my abs reminded me that they haven't done any abs-specific work for a month, and they felt it.

I had a rest on Friday, then, as this is a 'down' week, took it easy with a 5.5k on Saturday morning. Ended up doing it at 5:13, which was faster than it felt (nice when that happens).

This morning was the rematch with the SMC 1/2M course at Smithfield. This time I had some significant advantages - a) it was cool and still, b) I know the course now, and c) I've had 4 weeks to obsess about what happened last time :-). My major priorities were to cope with the hill in the middle of the course more effectively, and keep my concentration together through the whole race. By running a steadier, more controlled race, the hill was no problem (in fact, I overtook a couple of people up it) and I had plenty in the bank to raise the pace in the last 3 ks and do a fair sprint towards the end. Result was a 2 minute pb (98:45).

I learned two lessons today.
#1 is to be careful with the water sachets. The first two times I took sachets, I got a large squirt of water down my wind pipe, resulting in a coughing fit (not much good when you're trying to breathe, and also a fair bit of swallowed air. I was feeling a bit sick in the stomach around 10k which I ascribed to having taken too much water, but when I let loose a few enormous burps I immediately felt much better, and was able to take on a decent drink at the last two stations, which helped the run home.
#2 was that I didn't use every ounce of run today, so independent of improvements through training, it is still open to me to make some (albeit minor) improvements through just pushing a little harder consistently right through the whole race. I'm sure that my body can cope with it, but I don't know whether my head could. Having said that, next month at SMC is 25k, so I won't be trying to push obscenely hard anyway.

Total for week - 55k
Next week - long run will be 24 or 25k, total in low 60's.

sfG

8 Comments:

At 7:48 am, Blogger Horrie said...

That was a great run Gnome. I have to get rid of the sf prefix as it just doesn't wash anymore. You looked great each time I passed you and when I saw you trailing Professor through, I knew you were a chance to crack 1:40. Then to be there at the finish and seeing you finishing so strongly for a 1:38 was great to witness. Congratulations on such a big PB but I know there are more to come as you continue to find the right balance in these longer runs.

 
At 8:30 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Vey well done with the new PB sfG. Your on fire !

 
At 9:04 am, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational Gnome! Your hard work certainly is paying off - well done!

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Great stuff Gnome. Wish I'd been there to see it. Next month hopefully!

TA, I hope you're feeling better soon. My new physio is actually a physio who does hydrotherapy and is a big believer in water running. He used to be a track athlete himself and his wife is a triathlete so he understands the frustrations of being injured. His wife is recovering from a stress fracture at the moment and he has her water running 5 days a week.

He is based at the War Memorial Hospital in Waverley. I'm normally in the pool with the oldies who have just had a hip replacement or something and they are always good company! I got my my flotation belt here too, but I think you can get them at Rebel. The number is 9386 4354. His name is Mike Allen and his wife, Zoe Little, runs the practice with him. Tell them I sent you if you contact them. Send me an email if you need any more info.

 
At 11:08 am, Blogger 2P said...

Congratulations sfG - sub 100mins wooooohooooo that's gotta feel good!

Yeah I still forget occasionally that you can't breathe and swallow at the same time too ;-)

 
At 11:16 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Fantastic run Gnome! A 2 minute PB is just awesome. Now that has to give you confidence for Canberra :-)

Poor TA :-( Must be a relief for her to be home with you and the family. Hope she's feeling better soon.

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

sfG, congratulations once again. You are making some massive improvement of late!

TA - Get well now!

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Awesome efffort!!! A PB and under 100 mins.... can you see I am green with envy :-) Give TA my best wishes... I hope she feels better soon!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home