Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Uncharted territory (again)

Wow. It's Tuesday night already. Physio tomorrow. Start carbo process Thursday. Drive down Saturday. R-day Sunday. All we need now is some smoke billowing from down below and a disconnected voice intoning "Ignition sequence start... five... four... main engines start... three... two..."

I just wanted to capture my feelings now, before the day. It'll be interesting to review them after the event. Normally, by this point before a big race, I'm starting to get a little tense (I think that tiger angel may privately use other descriptive terms - very nice ones of course :-) ). This time, I'm just excited. I know that I've not recovered fully from six foot and I know that I haven't done a great deal of quality work in the intervening period, but I just have a feeling that things are going to go really well. Even if they don't and I blow up big time, I know that I'm going to see some really good stuff from some people I hold dear, and that excites me much more than anything I might achieve.

Last weekend we drove up to Port to watch the Iron Man championships. I'm still staggered that anyone can swim 3.8km, let alone sit on a bike for 5, 6, 7 hours, but it was when we sat down to watch the run leg that I really got going. I just wanted to be in there and running with them. Four and a half more days and I will. Oo oo oo oo oo!

So, what's the goal? 3:23:48
Why so precise? Just to get away from round numbers I guess.
Is it possible? Yep!
Is it likely? Dunno! I'm about to learn if this experiment-of-one can run two good marathons back-to-back, so whatever happens, I'm going to know a little bit more about me than I knew before.

Ignition sequence start... :-) :-)

Gnome

11 Comments:

At 11:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This time I plan to be pointing in the right direction when you finish!

 
At 5:10 am, Blogger Jen said...

Good luck Gnome! R & I will be done there cheering for you :-)

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Good luck Gnome.

If you are at 95% post six foot, I reckon you can do 3:23.

See ya down there!

 
At 10:13 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

Gnome,

I know what you mean about blowing up and seeing some really good stuff from those you hold dear. It's been the basis of many good days out for myself.

But hopefully not this weekend.

With any luck I'll see you about 36 minutes after you finish. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 10:21 am, Blogger Vurt said...

you will smash it.

Good luck, i am sure i will see you fly past me at some point in the race :)

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger Superflake said...

After your run at Six Foot you won't have the fade at 30ks as you have the endurance. You may not have the speed to push faster if you are feeling. Well that was how I felt last year.
Sub 3:20 for you I reckon.

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

4:50 ks eh? This means you'll be a couple of minutes behind Tesso when she heads off on the 8k warm-down ;)

I think it'll be a great day. So many people, so many stories...

 
At 6:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I spotted yourself and the Prof at Lane Cove last week casually conversing while rolling along at 4:10 pace I can recall having definite thoughts as to how the both of you might fare in Canberra :-)

If my race plan proves sound I should finish around 52 secs behind you.

See ya on the weekend.

JD

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a good chuckle after reading your comment on my blog about 'tapering', Gnome!

Exciting times we live in! See you in the ACT.

 
At 8:31 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Ewen must think I'm starting half an hour earlier than you.

I agree with Flakey, sub 3:20 has to be a possibility the way you have been running.

See you on the weekend!

 
At 8:13 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

I bet you'll love it out there after being sidelined last year.
Have a great run on Sunday in your quest for 3:23...I reckon you're in great shape for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home