Monday, April 20, 2009

An accidental marathon

How can a marathon be accidental? I think I've found a way. After my disaster in last year's Canberra Marathon, I promised myself (and anyone who'd listen) that never again would I try the Six Foot / Canberra double. It's just too hard on an old bloke's body. Consequently, my goals for this year were set in stone:
  1. Finish 6ft in good condition (a pb would be a bonus), and
  2. Go sub 3:30 in the Melbourne Marathon in October.
Any other races (halves, 10k, the odd triathlon, whatever) were all just training for those two. History has recorded that the first was ticked off in fine, albeit slightly painful, style.

In the month since 6ft, I've taken it relatively easy, running about 50k per week, pretty much all in 10k blocks. Prior to last Saturday the furthest I'd run was 11k, but on Saturday I decided to see how I'd go over 30... As it was, the call of the toilet truncated the run to 27k, but it was a very comfortable 27 over a hilly course at a steady 5:15 pace, and it got me thinking. 5:15 pace equates to a 3:45 marathon. My PB is 3:43. Surely I could keep that pace going, and possibly even go a little faster. We were going to Canberra anyway to watch Caro, Julia, Jacqui & Barb (from Run Club) all run their first marathons, so... Maybe. Surely. Should I? Shouldn't I? What about? Ummm...

There were a few things to sort out, so it wasn't until Tuesday that we made a final decision. The best part of leaving everything to the end like that is that there's no time for nerves, and there's no time to build up expectations. I'm not sure that I've ever done a race where I was less concerned about the outcome. I decided (after about 2 second's thought) that I'd start on a 5:00 pace (3:30 finish) and see what happened. If I ran well then great, and if I blew up then I could walk home. No hassles either way :-)

Julia, Jacqui, yours truly and Caro before the start (Barb was nowhere to be found :-) )

The first 10k was uneventful. I found an old mate of Tiger Angel's who I only ever see at races and we chatted our way up and around Parliament House - he describing his night in hospital after last month's Iron Man and me describing Tiger Angel's toe operation - but after coming past the wonderful CR cheer squad at cowbell corner and heading out over the lake, I started to detect an increasing need for some sit-down conveniences. A short respite there cost me 90 seconds, but no worries; 90 seconds can be recovered over 30k just by upping the tempo by 3 sec/k. No problem. In fact, I recovered a little more quickly than that, and was back on schedule by the second time around cowbell corner (26k). Still feeling fresh and untroubled, I ran on happily until, heading out over the lake, I started to detect an increasing need for...

Yep, same conveniences, 2nd lap :-( At least this time it only cost 60 sec, but this time I had to make up 60 sec in the 12 remaining k. Hmmm. That's 5 sec/k this time. Not to worry. I can do that. In fact, at this point I suddenly realised that I could do a whole lot better than 5 sec/k. I was feeling fresh and I only had 12k to go, so why not throw caution to the wind and put some effort in.

Up to Black Mtn and back down. Still good. Across the lake. Still good. Across the front of Old Parliament house. To my surprise, still good. And all the while watching the splits crumble. 30 sec ahead. 50 sec. 1:30 ahead. And still feeling good. Amazing.

If I felt good then, it was nothing compared to the lift I got from Tiger Angel and the rest of the CR cheer squad as I came through Cowbell Corner for the last time. A final sprint down the last k and I crossed the line in 3:28:17 (3:27:49 net), well under my year's goal of 3:30, and 15 minutes under my previous PB. Best of all, I felt in good enough nick to walk back down to Cowbell Corner to do my share of cheering the girls on, and then wander down the course and run with Caro for her last 2k. What an awesome way to finish an awesome day!


Caro and me at Cowbell Corner

So, what's the wrap up? Firstly, it was such a privilege to be with the girls and watch their nerves and doubts of the morning turn into the elation (and a certain quantum of pain!) of the afternoon. It's an achievement that will last a lifetime, and only you know just what you put in to achieve it. Regardless of the congratulations that others may offer, you know in your own souls just what it is that you have done.

Hail the conquering heroes! :-)

As for my self, I ran the last 10k in 45 minutes. That is such a confidence booster for Melbourne. With focussed and careful training and good conditions, who knows what may be possible? Whatever the weather, I want to know that when I run into the MCG, I will have done the absolute best that I possibly could. That is my goal now.

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 11:11 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

Fantastic run Gnomey!! Great to catch up with TA as well...

 
At 7:39 am, Blogger Zodelicious said...

Congratulations Bruce!! You make it sound so easy.

 
At 7:55 am, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational Bruce - congratulations. Me thinks 3:20 is calling at Melbourne. I'd better tell R to pull his socks up ;-)

Hope the recovery goes well

 
At 8:04 am, Anonymous Lorna said...

Awesome! Hmmmmm...I've got unfinished business with Melbourne....

 
At 8:26 am, Blogger Hamburglar said...

I reckon you could go sub 3:15 easy.

Well done mate!

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations Bruce. Fantastic the way you ran a no plan race plan. You made it sound easy. I must remember this plan for sub 3 at Sydney in September.

 
At 7:28 pm, Anonymous Johnny Dark said...

Inspiring stuff Bruce. Almost makes me wanna pull on the ol' marathon shoes once more.

Looking forward to following your journey to the MCG.

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

You looked so good and comfortable out there Bruce - I'm not surprised at all about the huge PB and 45 for the last 10k.

That must be the secret of the 6'/Canberra double - do stuff all training between!

I agree with Chris - start at 3:15 pace and you'll probably run 3:09:XX!

 
At 10:31 pm, Blogger Robert Song said...

I know I am a bit late but WOW what a great run.

Expectation can be a heavy thing to carry into a race. Being relaxed can make a big difference.

All the best for MM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home