Sunday, October 12, 2008

Keeping up to date

Trying to keep in the habit of posting, (but it'll be v. brief :) ).

We went out to the Western Sydney CR5k yesterday, both intending on a relatively easy run. TA was going straight to swim squads afterwards (I suggested that we ride out to get the whole training set in) and I had the Strider's Internal Half today. Well, it seems that neither of us can resist a race, so my 22 minute goal turned into 20:35 (still nice and comfortable - I'm not totally stupid!) and TA's 30 minutes turned into 27:30.

The strider's half is a handicap race, and it has to be the most terrifying race I've ever run. Apart from the fact that it is done on the Lane Cove course (think hills and more hills, more than the normal 10k course and then we do it twice), but all the fast runners are behind you and intent on hunting you down. Add to that that there are 5 turnaround points in the course, so you can see them all getting closer and closer. Absolutely terrifying for someone who hates to be caught.

Still, it's an ill wind that blows no good, and the terror inspired me to a 94:55 finish and a ~90 second negative split. That's my second best time on a half, and the best on a certified course, so I'm pretty happy, but I don't recall ever being quite so spent at the end of a race. Funny how a bit of Bathurst-watching this afternoon turned into a bit of eyelid examination instead... :-)

Gnome

3 Comments:

At 6:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A 90 sec negative split on THAT course!

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't remember when I last had fast runners behind me....probably will happen in another life!

Well done to both of you for the CR5K!

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Tesso said...

More solid running there Gnomey. What a great run in the half, I remember running part of that Lane Cove course last year and its tough as!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home