Sunday, February 12, 2006

Slightly smashed...

Saturday - I need to get some strength sessions in, so today's fun was 11k of rolling (big) hills. There's a road near us which is 1.5k of roller-coaster, so out and back on it was as good a place as any to start (following a 2k warm up). Then it was down into the valley for 1.5k of recovery, before 2 more k of rollercoaster along the valley floor, and then the 1.5k constantly rising killer hill up out of the valley again. I defy anyone to run it and not be busting a gut by the time they reach the top. What a shame that I had to pause a moment for a car to cross a drive way just after the top. Of course, I wouldn't have stopped if it hadn't been for the car... :-)

Average pace for the run was 5:15, and for that hill it was a bit under 6:00. Mood after run? Tired, but pretty happy. The one concern was the effect it may have on Sunday's long run.

Sunday - and it didn't take long to find out! I left home at about 5:50am to run down through Castle Hill & Baulkham Hills to Parramatta, one lap around Parramatta Park, and then home via Carlingford. Right from the first steps my legs just felt tired. They settled into rhythm before too long, but there was never any 'floating' feeling - just hard slog. I really started to feel the hills from about 25k onwards. To add insult to injury, the route home was about 4k shorter than the route out, so having reached within spitting distance of home, I had to continue on and find another 4k, and in my addled state managed to pick another one of the local rollercoasters. Still, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I ain't dead yet! :-)

Total distance - 32.5k at 5:45 (including a couple of gel-and-drink stops).
Total for the week - 73k (both new distance records for me).
I'm feeling OK now, but geez I'm glad that tomorrow's a rest day. 8 weeks to go, and then I've told TA that I'm not going to run anywhere for a month (she doesn't believe me).

sfG

5 Comments:

At 8:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Gnome. Excellent effort.

TA mentioned today that you would maybe like some company on your long runs. Mr wt has volunteered for the job if you are interested?

wt

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Way to go Gnome! Two new records in one week - no wonder you are ready for a rest day!

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

I don't believe you either!

Enjoy the rest day - hard yakka starts again Tuesday :-)

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Hahaha! I have forgotton what it feels like to run with frsh legs! It is going to be soooo worth it Gnome! You just wait.... I will give you a huge hug when we all cross that line with ig smiles and an achievemnt no one can take away! Thats what is getting me out of bed in the morning... ohh and the ability to eat 200 million jelly beans gulit free :-)
Way to go on breaking you km record!!! *Gulp* 8 weeks to go! Now if you take out the taper, thats about 5 or 6 weeks of hard stuff... can you smell that victory!

Sorry for the long post... still have a few endorphinis floating around :-)

 
At 10:37 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Two records in a week.. great stuff and it will definitely be worth it when you cross that finish line!

BTW, I don't believe you either.. not running anywhere for a month.. we'll see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home