Thursday, January 19, 2006

From lethargy to sprints

Tuesday - Much discussion the night before with Angela as to whether we'd run or not due to the weather (well, I was running regardless, so the discussion was all about her. To quote her text message, "I'm not the one running a marathon. If it rains, I'm staying in bed"). Well, it was raining, and in bed she stayed. Did 10.5k at 5:30 pace. Comfortable, if a little wet.

Wednesday - This was a real struggle. It's the most unmotivated I've been since I can't remember. I got up and dressed, and then sat in the bedroom chair talking to TA for as long as I could. I just really didn't want to go out by myself again. OK when I got going, but I felt pretty heavy for the first few k's. Did 13.5k at 5:40 pace (see, told you I was lethargic - first 2 k's were 6:20 and 6:00 pace, but settled into 5:30s after that).

Thursday - Cycled to work for the first time in a month, so I was a fraction slower than normal, but nothing significant. Developed a really sore back at work, and spent most of the day trying to stretch it out. I'm guessing that it was related to the bike, because it was very uncomfortable when I got on the bike this evening to go to Run Club.

I was tempted to pull the pin before Run Club even started, but decided to see how it went. As it was, it didn't really bother me during the evening, though it's still pretty sore now despite some of the pharmacist's finest (I didn't take anything for it during the day, because I didn't want to run without being able to feel whether I was doing further damage). Anyhow, rest day tomorrow, so that'll give it time to clear up (he says hopefully :-)).

Anyhow, back to Run Club. Tim is away this week, so Steve (26 miles) ran the session, with TA doing the stretches and strength work. After a 3 lap warm up and stretches, we did 4 or 5 (lost count) 60m run throughs, accelerating up to half way, and holding the speed for the second 30m. Each run through was faster than the previous, with the final one at full sprint.

We then went into 10 minutes of sprint the straights (100m), jog (walk) the bends, 3 minutes standing recovery, then repeat the 10 minutes. I think that the second 10 minutes was actually less, but I don't think that anyone was complaining about it being cut short :-)

The splits were reasonably consistent, give or take a second depending on whether we were going into or with the wind. I concentrated on sprint form - particularly high claw back - in the second period, and my average split in that period was more than a second faster than in the first. Also pleasing was that I didn't slow at all as the period wore on. However, I wonder whether it may have been better to go a few seconds slower, and jog the recoveries. McMillan suggests 19-21sec 100 intervals for me, and I was doing 17-18 in the second half. Who knows? :-)

Rest of week and beyond - Rest day tomorrow, 9-10k on Saturday, and 24k on Sunday. Next week sees the start of the stamina phase, so we'll be starting to see more tempo, fartlek and rolling hills starting to come into the picture.

Tomorrow morning is Daz's funeral. I only knew him from the first few months of Run Club before work kept him away, but he was always so encouraging and engaging. I am really struggling with the idea that someone so fit can have a massive heart attack. Accidents take fit people, not heart attacks! God, bless Daz's fiance and family. Hold them close and give them strength.

sfG

2 Comments:

At 8:46 am, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Great to see things are on the way up again TA! When will we be hearing about Gnome's new PB? Did I miss that post?

 
At 11:34 pm, Blogger CJ said...

I've been neglecting my blog reading and catching up so have been very busy tonight doing just that. Sound slike your marathon training is coming along well. I think you will run the marathon in under 4hours but its sensible to set some realistic time goals, as you have. Your main goal though should be - to enjoy the race. ;-)

Hope TA is feeling much better - sounds awful what she had. Also sounds like she had a great time in Cambodia - those exercise classes sounded hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home