Saturday, August 19, 2006

Advice requested

I was playing around with SportTracks the other day, and I came up with this rather telling graph. It shows my weekly distance from the beginning of December up til now.
The dates aren't readable (sorry!), but what you have is a nice steady build up followed by a few months of consistent running (with 'easy' weeks every once in a while). Then, about the middle ofthe graph, there's a sudden crash when injury kicks in. The two lone peaks in the middle of the graph are me coming back too early, and the marathon itself.

After the marathon, we have a nice steady build up followed by a few months of consistent running (where have we heard this before?) etc, etc, and sadly, etc. So here I find myself after a month of no running, with my goal races as good as gone, my Striders 10k handicap series out the window (I was coming 6th, with an outside chance of a podium finish by the end of the year) and no real idea of how to stop history repeating itself.

I guess that I have two main questions;
  1. How do I avoid the 4 month crash? If I'm going to do 6ft, then I need to start training specifically for it in December which by history should have me unable to walk by March :-(
  2. Right now, should I emulate Tesso and try to train through the pain, or follow in the footsteps of the Silverfox and take time off until everything is right again?
(By way of background, I ran about 5k on Thursday night. The pain started within 500m, and whilst it quickly reached a certain level and didn't get any worse, I found walking difficult on Friday. In other words, at the moment, I have not improved one iota in the last month).

So, waddayareckon? I have some ideas, and of course I continue to discuss this with the wonderful tiger angel, but I'd be very interested in your views and ideas. I don't mean this to be a pity party - there are many who are far worse off than me (TA for instance) - but I am keen to have a positive plan rather than just continue the way things have been going. Thanks.

Gnome

8 Comments:

At 5:59 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Not sure I can offer any advice Gnome, as I am a novice on these matters. But no improvement over the past month would certainly have me looking for alternative medical advice. A second opinion on your injury may be the way to move forward. Good luck mate.

 
At 1:17 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I'm certain that there are much wiser people around than me. But as I see it, very few people are able to run through an injury which has been hanging around for a while with no sign of improvement. I certainly can't.

I'd agree with Gronk - perhaps get a second opinion before making a decision one way or the other..

Good luck - I'm thinking of you both.

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger Dave said...

I reckon if you can "manage" the niggle and it does not affect your running then keep going. Clearly in your case though Gnome the current malady is not resolving itself and it is affecting your ability to run.

So I am agreeing with those above, get it fixed up. However I don't agree with your critique of your training, while it has been interrupted at inopportune times your running has been consistent and certainly your performances improving. The challenge is to be prepared for another go, once your niggle is fixed!

 
At 7:53 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

Just a thought, but perhaps plan for an easier week in terms of total mileage every 3rd or 4th week. 2 weeks of 60 followed by one of 35-40 etc.

I've found tha it's consistency over months that makes the difference, not weeks.

Similarly, with the long runs for 6ft, a big long run one week followed by a much smaller flatter long run.

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger miners said...

A lot of triathlon programs work specifically on a 3-week build, 1-week easy cycle. I know some marathon programs do the same, but perhaps deliberately cruising through the 3rd or 4th week of each month (and doing more cycling) might ward off potential injury?

 
At 10:09 am, Blogger miners said...

oh shoot - I see ewen suggested the same now that the comments have popped up.

For guys looking at the enormous volumes required for IM etc, this is the only way they can manage the stress to the body. I know you enjoy your cycling - so perhaps bring more of it into your weekly program, particularly after your harder run sessions as a recovery tool - but then concentrate more on the bike on that 3rd or 4th "easy" week?

 
At 3:13 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

[Insert not an expert clause]

I remember from my massage training that the prefered treatment for tendonitis is rest, rest and more rest. Oh, and strategic, short-term use of anti-inflammatry meds. Once the tendons get inflamed they keep rubbing on the fascia and getting more inflamed and rubbing on the fascia and getting more inflamed....etc etc

One look at your ankle on Thursday showed how much inflammation there is in the area.

Of course I could have remembered completely wrong or the treatment may have changed since I qualified in 2000 so I'd get some more opinions if I were you ;-)

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

I'm still wondering whether my approach was the right one. Still, I did have an entire 3 weeks and 2 days off running. I'd mention the number of hours but I don't want to sound too obsessive ;-)

Guess it depends on the injury. With mine it delayed the recovery a little, but mentally I felt better doing so.

All I can say is fingers crossed you will be back in action soon and there will be no such thing as the 4 month crash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home