Thursday, November 24, 2005

On the road again...

After Saturday's aborted long run, by Wednesday night I figured that the old body was back under control and that it was safe to head back out. (I was also fairly keen to get out because I didn't want to go into Saturday's CR5k with nothing under my belt). I figured that a nice slow 5.5k loop at a 5:30 pace was the shot. Apart from being a bit lethargic at the start, everything felt good and I was congratulating myself on a complete recovery until I got to the 4.5k mark, where things started to get a bit uncomfortable :-(

I made it home in time, but I was a bit fearful about run club tonight. Turns out that I needn't have worried, which is the last I'll say on the matter for the time being.

The ride into work this morning was just awful. I know that it takes a little bit of time to get in rhythm, but I felt very tired just riding down the road from my house. Not a great start. Never lost the tiredness all the way in, and to make matters worse, I started getting cramps in my calves that stayed with me for the last 15km. Not a fun ride.

Run club to the rescue though. I felt (and still feel now) pretty ordinary, but somehow when you start on those intervals everything else just floats away. We did 3x400 firm with 200 floats between, followed by 10 minutes of 1 min on, 1 min off. I ran most of the time with Stephen and a new bloke James, and it was just the right speed for me. Loved it.

The highlight of the night was the tyre races. Tim had purloined a couple of car tyres from somewhere (somewhere there's a car up on bricks, but what do you expect in a hooligan place like Balmain :-) :-)), and we had to take it in turns to drag the tyres out and back along a 50m track. That's hard work! Wildthing was a revelation. She'll claim that she's not running well at the moment, but you should have seen her drag that tyre. There's a phenomenal amount of power in those legs.

It's ten to eleven, and I've decided to have a shower and go to bed well before midnight tonight. You never know, I might even be feeling moderately alive by Saturday if I keep this up. Wish me luck :-)

sfG

4 Comments:

At 9:26 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Tyre races, what a classic!

I remember years ago seeing a story on Jim Courier and dragging a tyre uphill was a regular part of his training. It sure worked for him!

I just hope our coach Pat doesn't read you blog.

 
At 4:30 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

gee, i was hoping you'd be able to roll the tyre along rather than drag it!...nice variation...

 
At 10:33 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Good luck for tomorrow. Hope you're feeling lively! Those tyre dragging races sound like a challenge too.

 
At 6:25 pm, Blogger miners said...

Tyre races! You and those kids at Run Club - there's always something new :)

Hope you're still feeling good for CC, and don't worry - I'll be stopping short near the 21 km mark and coming back for stragglers (a grim reaper/sweeper type if you like). I'll run back with the 2 of you, unless we've left Gronk, 2P or someone else back there somewhere :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home