Thursday, November 10, 2005

An astounding new PB (I'll bet Glen Guzzo's never managed this!)

It was "stiches out" day today. Rode the pushy to work as normal for Thursday - went OK, ankle only hurt during the twist to unclip. Sucessfully avoided any further contact between my leg and the sprockets!

The Doctor was suprised about the amount of swelling and tenderness around my foot, but she was certain that there was no infection. Her diagnosis was that I was either allergic to the sutures or that I've chipped a bit off my ankle bone (she actually said"...or you've broken your ankle..." but I think that's just a bit melodramatic. The directive is to wait till Monday. If the symptoms haven't started to subside by then, then it's off for an X-ray. When I suggested that there wasn't much point in an X-ray as there wasn't really anything could be done for it, she said "but then we'd know how long you'll need off to recover". I don't like the sound of that :-(

On a more positive note, Run club was fantastic tonight. You know how occasionally everything just comes together and running is superb? Well, I got a few minutes of that tonight! It was the first time back on the track for months, and I've found that I really like track work. It was drills, 4x400, drills, 4x300, drills and 4x200. Something clicked during the 300s - my legs were coming right up, my shoulders were down and I just felt like my centre of gravity was sitting about a foot lower. It was just the most awesome feeling. MicroTA ran with me the whole night, and I think that he was enjoying the track too. I dropped him on the last of the 300s, and he repaid me by blowing me away in the last couple of 200s. In the last one I put every ounce of sprint I had in to it and picked up a couple of metres, by I just couldn't make the last metre. I think that he was pretty chuffed at beating the old man, and I was absolutely ecstatic at the way he was running.

TA's night was a little less perfect. She managed to set a new PB by vomiting 5 times during the course of the evening. As she said, "hey, I feel fine afterwards, so why not keep going?". I think that she started to feel better as the night wore on (load getting lighter?) so she was really disappointed when Tim dragged her near the end and she wasn't able to complete the last of the 200s. She knows that it was for her own good, but it's hard to get your head to rule your heart sometimes. I guess that's what we need trainers for :-)

sfG

5 Comments:

At 9:04 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Gosh, a 5 vomit session - TA, you are a legend! I've only ever felt like vomitting on occasion, now I feel like I mustn't be working hard enough :-)

Hope it was just the sutures causing the swelling sfG.

 
At 11:06 am, Blogger miners said...

Great to know the ankle's looking ok (if it's any consolation, I ALWAYS have a sprocket grease stain on my calf after every ride - without fail).

Great to see Macro and TA herself are performing so well - gee, 5 vomits - might be worth a thread on CR to see if anyone can best her!

 
At 12:07 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Now I feel positively wimpish when I complain of feeling slightly nauseous on some occasions. TA is really a legend. Hope she's feeling better today! Hope the ankle is nothing more than a minor allergy Gnome.

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

What is the point of all this vomiting??? Is it really a sign of something good happening? I'd be racing home to bed if ever I felt that way! Don't understand why anyone would train & be vomiting at the same time. Sounds awful!

 
At 9:59 pm, Blogger silverfox said...

5 spits...TA do you want me to have a chat to 26? I know where he lives! Bruce hope the swelling is nothing too dramatic because the running seems to be going from strength to strength, bar your little mishap, pbs galore. Take care both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home