Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Guinea Pig

Tuesday morning saw Gnome and I head out the door in different directions. I went to the gym for a wts session and he headed off for an easy 10k with Angela. Gnome always wears his CR cap running and on this run got spotted by Spud and reported on the thread re non-racing CR's. Had to laugh when he fessed up to getting hot and sweaty while out with another woman.

Wednesday was a rest day for me and Gnome went for a run at night via his folks place to fix their DVD, etc.

With this Saturday being the last Striders 10k for the year, it would be nice to reduce the PB a bit more. So with that in mind and having learnt about Carbo Loading at college it seemed a good time to experiment and become a guinea pig. Tim and I discussed it and I'm now on day 6. The idea is to deplete the body's energy stores over 3-4 days then reload furiously for 3 days and race the next. It doesn't make you faster but it's meant to allow you to keep up your maximum output for longer. At the moment I'm body weary as I've done the depletion stage and have only done one day of carb stuffing. I think I'd better go and eat some more otherwise Saturday maybe a PW not a PB.

TA

5 Comments:

At 6:47 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I'm interested to hear about the results of your tests on yourself too.. you should have had some Lindt chocolate tart too:)

 
At 9:47 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Just to let you know I picked up my new Shimano TR-02 cycling shoes yesterday and wore them for this morning's ride. They were great and my friend admired them. I had no problems with them on the bike and I'm sure I cycled better!

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger CJ said...

I hope Gnome is ok - stitches in his ankle, ouch! Take care and hope the ankle is feeling etter soon.

 
At 10:21 am, Blogger Tesso said...

I'm also keen to find out how the depletion/load goes. I've only ever done the load thing. Hmmmm, in fact ever day I seem to do the load thing :-)

Good luck in the 10k.

 
At 7:20 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought 'Depletion' was out of favour in recent years even for marathonnners; for a 10km race I wouldn't have thought it advisable....but what do I know? Good luck with the run & it will be interesting to see if you think there's been an advantage.

Gnome.....seen "hot & sweaty"? No wonder he was found attractive by another woman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home