Thursday, February 16, 2006

Time for a break

Tuesday - TA is still a fair way off running, so I introduce Angela to the joys of the Mona Fartlek. We did a 2.6k warm up, then the 20 minute session on a track and finally a 3k cool down. Ange averaged 5:08 pace over the 20 minutes, so she was pretty happy with that. I did 4.6k in the time at 4:20 average - very pleased. It's amazing how quickly the 20 minutes passes in this session. It's a lot of fun.

Wednesday - This was tough. I felt really flat from the word go. Legs like blocks of wood and feet like bricks. The intent was to do 2k warm up, 5k tempo (~4:20 pace) and 3k cool down on a hilly course. In general, it all went according to plan, except that I once again mis-read my watch and quit 300m short of the 5k. (I think I have a special part of my brain that feeds misinformation to my eyes when I'm stuffed :-)).

The first 4 k was tough but fine, turning in a 4:18 average. The last 700m (up a loooong hill) was a fairly disgusting 4:50 pace. I'd like to think that the 300 I didn't do, which was flat, would have brought that down a bit, but it does look scarily like I was blowing up at the end. Not happy with that at all.

Thursday - I decided on Wednesday night that I'd still do the normal Thursday - ride to work and Run Club at night - but then I'd take both Friday and Saturday off to give my legs a chance to recover a bit. I've been feeling a bit of tightness in my left hammy - nothing major, but enough to make me be careful. Anyhow, the ride to work was a little faster than normal on account of me meeting a work mate half way there and trying to keep with him. Seeing he's been to the Australian mountain biking championships, that's no mean feat! :-) Then this evening, the rain came...

I knew from looking at the weather radar that Run Club would be dry, but I also knew that lots of other people wouldn't know that, so it was likely to be called off. I figured that Mr WT would probably be there, so a nice run of the bay was on the cards. Somewhere along the line, I formulated an idea that if one lap would be good, two laps would be better as long as I took them easy. How right I was!

Run Dave, Mr WT and I headed off at a tad over 5 minute pace and chatted our way around for 1 3/4 laps. Mr WT commented that we were tending to speed up as we neared the end, and promptly made it a self fulfilling prophesy by taking off like a scalded rabbit, with Run Dave and I in hot pursuit. Alas, I only held on until the bridge where a sea of niggles came crashing over my legs. Discretion being the better part of cowardice, I backed off and trotted the last 500m :-)

It was a great run, no doubt, and I'm really pleased that we did it (13.7k @ 5:10 including a few water stops). I'm also really pleased that I've got two days off now - I don't think that I'm supposed to be so excited about not running, but I am, and I'm also excited that I'll be feeling better on Sunday for SMC. It's a 25k this month, and I've been wondering how I was going to do it. Should I go for it like a half marathon, or just treat it like a long run, or what? However, in the light of my little flock of niggles, I think that I'll just aim for an easy run pace (~5:10) and let the world stream out in front of me :-)

2 days of a nice walk and then lots of stretching (and maybe even lots of sleep)! I could get used to that :-) :-)

sfG

4 Comments:

At 7:42 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Good luck on Sunday sfG. :)

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger 2P said...

Fantastic attitude sfG - most people get an attack of the guilts - far better to turn that frown upsidedown and see it as a reward - good on you mate ;-)

 
At 5:50 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Gee, you've put in a few solid sessions this week. You must be feeling pretty zippy right now.

Good luck on Sunday at SMC. 5:10 pace will probably feel slow for you!

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger Katie said...

Big Picture sfG!!!! Remember you have to get to the start line in one peice! Just treat it as an easy run if you have niggles or practice your marathon race pace... I am assuming it is slower than what you would normally race 25km :-)
I am going to do the 30km in March and practice my marathon pace and race day eating etc.
I had a blah week as well! I'd say that comes with all this running!!! See you Saturday for the 5km

 

Post a Comment

<< Home