Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Canberra is dead, long live the...

Time for one last long loving look back at Canberra before we consign it to the memory drawer :-)

I went to erase the white board, but I decided that there was too much history on it so I took this photo. It's too small to see properly here, but if you click on the photo, you can see it in more detail.

The figures across the top are fairly self explanatory. The crossed out figures are the planned runs that got cancelled (all barring the first due to injury). The blue figures are the actual km for each week. Down the right hand side is my race number, my hydration plan and my race plan.

Over on the left is a picture that Angel drew for me for my birthday, depicting me (the gnome) with tiger angel dancing on my hand and our kids in various forms around us. The formless figures in the background are all the people we know through running!
________________

In the weeks before Canberra when I was starting to wonder what the hell I was doing, Jen_runs posted part of a quote from Roosevelt. I dug out the whole quote and posted it beside my computer as a reminder that it is the act that matters, not the outcome. It was:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

________________

So, what does the future hold now? Nothing big for the moment, that's for sure! I'm only just starting to run again, and looking forward to the CR5k on Saturday week, the Striders 10k the week after, and I found out today that my entry to the Herald half has been accepted. I promise that I won't totally obsess about them, really I do! They're just for fun, OK?? :-) :-)
________________

Tiger angel continues on the mend. Both speed and endurance are starting to return, although slower than she'd like. She definitely won't be running in the Herald Half, so she'll be manning the Cheer Squad, but I have a feeling that the Strider's 10k just might be on the horizon ::gnome cheers, jumps about and gets very excited::

Gnome

10 Comments:

At 11:36 pm, Blogger 2P said...

LOL always good to see some footprints.... believe it or not that quote on your whiteboard is actually a 2P original.... as for the Roosevelt quote I have a print of it on my office wall ;-)

I also love he fact that your biggest training week was immediately after entry - fear is a great motivator ;-)

 
At 2:09 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Yeah for TA!!!! Thats great news :-)
Great to hear you recovering well!!!

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

What a beautiful picture. TA sure is talented.
I want a whiteboard too!

 
At 10:37 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so glad that you took a photo of the whiteboard. You had a remarkable journey.

And yes, it was 2P who prompted me to dig out that quote :-)

 
At 7:42 am, Blogger Katie said...

Hahaha Gnomey you meanie!!! No I did not take it the wrong way. I was feeling fine but a few days ago my right leg started to feel really tight... I probably did not notice because I have only been doing short runs. Hopefully as bashing with tiger will loosen them up. I got the rolling pin out and ouch there are lots of tight spots! Don't beat yourself up... you worked really hard! Most runners are never 100% honest about how they are actually feeling ;-)

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great story that photo tells! I wouldn't clean it off at all...just use it again next year!

Hope TA continues to improve....thanks to her, & you of course, I have a wonderful set of photos of the Canberra 50km.

 
At 4:27 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

Great stuff :) Love the whiteboard pic :)

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Dave said...

Hey Gnome, a great way to wrap up the Canberra journey!

Thanks also for your comment on my blog, have no fear I don't think I even heard you and hey, I knew I already looked like I was struggling, as I felt a whole heap worse :)

 
At 9:19 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, aren't you tempted to keep that white board as is and get a new one.

 
At 9:35 am, Blogger Horrie said...

Great post Bruce as it sums up your journey to the completion of your first marathon. Pure gold mate. Glad to hear TA is on the improve as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home