Monday, April 03, 2006

Slightly more verbose update

The last two updates have been remarkably brief (for me) - in the first case because I was pretty shaken by the way things were going, and in the second because I was at work when I posted, so I was trying to keep it short :-)

I didn't realise just how much the doubt was getting to me until, when Dr Pain said on Friday morning that it was going to be alright, I started crying! He was looking down at his notes when he said it, and I think (hope) that I composed myself before he looked up. I might have sweated and muttered a few times, but I've never cried from pain when he's attacked me, so it's a bit ironic that the only time that he's managed it was by giving me good news...

As well as realigning my pelvis and spine (the base cause of the problem) and loosening the muscles around it so it'd stay the way it is supposed to, he also needled my calf where I had some adhesions/scar tissue/whatever that were giving me grief. The needles themselves weren't an issue - I didn't even feel them - but I sure felt it when he pulled them out. I don't know what he was doing (I didn't look), but it felt like he was jack-hammering my leg. Gee, it was sore afterwards.

He told me to water run on Saturday, and do a gentle 5-10k on Sunday. The water run was no problem as usual, but the Sunday run was pretty sore on the calf (my back was fine). I pulled the plug after about 6k because another 4k wasn't going to make any difference in Canberra, and I'd run far enough to know that while the pain wasn't getting any worse, it wasn't getting any better either! (Oh, that run was done in the most part with TA too. I love that she's getting back to the stage where we can run together again).

I went back to Dr Pain this morning. Looks like everything has stayed in place, and the calf pain was just bruising, so tomorrow's 5k should be fine. Another 5k on Wednesday, something light at Run Club on Thursday, a final visit to Dr Pain on Friday and (hopefully) a session with Easy Tiger somewhere in between. It's starting to get interesting...

I've got my race strategy worked out and my race nutrition and fluid intake planned. I've got the gels I'm going to be using on the weekend (plus TA will carry a few more in case I lose any along the way - it's not outside assistance if she accidentally drops one which I - in the spirit of Keep Australia Clean - pick up, is it?? :-)). I've checked that the hotel booking is confirmed. I've yet to decide between CR or Striders singlet - I'll have my beloved CR hat of course. What have I forgotten??

128.5 hours to go

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 12:35 am, Blogger Bennyr said...

You had us worried for a while there, Gnome.

The Venezuelans in this dodgy internet cafe must´ve been a bit startled when the strange Australian in the Goodies t-shirt yelled out "Yes" upon reading your last post.

Getting close now. In case I don´t get a chance later, good luck.

Cheers,
Ben

 
At 7:31 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Stay positive mate. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

 
At 8:31 am, Blogger Dave said...

All on track now, good news to hear!

Now, I am a little biased :) but my vote is Striders singlet with CR cap. You'd be amazed at the "extra" support you get wearing both together.

 
At 9:22 am, Blogger 2P said...

Great news Gnome can't wait to read the race report ;-)

 
At 9:43 am, Blogger Robert Song said...

Good news. See you soon.

 
At 12:35 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Definately coolstrider!!! I am wearing my Strider top with PRIDE... as they have helped me get those dreaded long runs done and a great bunch of people.Then the icing on the cake the CR hat with newly added KIT on the back:-)

I am so glad you are feeling more confident.... cant wait to see you at the start. Let the EATING begin!!!

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, I'm just so happy things have come good for you.

Its amazing what we put our bodies through so we can make the start line of a marathon ... and then go through even more pain! Ah, but that's good pain :-)

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Lulu said...

Glad to hear it's all coming together.

See you in Canberra :)

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Jen said...

FANTASTIC NEWS GNOME - WOOHOO!!!!!

- and yes, I am yelling :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home