Sunday, March 12, 2006

Black-hole week

How's this for a weekly distance total four weeks out from a marathon - 7km. Not 70km. 7. Am I panicking? Maybe not, but I've been doing a pretty good imitation of a headless chook all weekend.

Here's the story. Having recovered from the lurgy by Friday morning, I swung out of bed, put my feet on the floor and said ouch. I think that I have a bruised heel, though how I managed to bruise it by lying flat on my back for the previous 3 days is beyond me. Weight bearing for long periods gets very sore. Walking hurts, and running is totally out of the question.

Plan is to move to deep water running essentially following the same program that I was (with certain road<->water translations that I've read up on) and give it a chance to heal. Depending on how it goes, I might move some of the program into the water even after I'm back on the road just to cut down on the wear and tear. Before I can do that though, I have to get my hands on a belt. If anyone knows where you can buy the belts in Sydney, feel free to tell me (please :-))

Until I do, I'll have to use cycling to keep the general fitness up. Tonight - 60min on the wind trainer

Gnome

9 Comments:

At 7:22 pm, Blogger Gronk said...

Argh ! Sorry to hear about the foot Gnome. Hope the heel heals quick smart for you.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Gnome, are you going to see somebody about that foot? I know lots of runners, including myself, who thought they had a bruised heel and many have turned out to be the evil plantar fasciitis. Though its not anywhere near as evil if you catch it early.

Sorry, don't want to scare you but it can be fixed!

 
At 8:30 pm, Blogger 26miles said...

Agree with Tesso.
Book in to see a pod tomorrow !
It is manageable though.

 
At 9:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce -
My mum has spent a fair bit of time at the olympic park aquatic centre doing aquafitness courses to help her hip and they supply buoyancy belts for use in the class. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be available for purchase too? Might be worth a shot if you need it in a hurry.
Good luck with everything,
Siobhan.

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Noooo!! Get better soon Gnome! With all the hard training done I would be getting a medical opinion too.

 
At 10:40 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

I hope it gets better very quickly whatever it is. Let me know if you want me to get a belt for you and we'll sort out how to get it to you.

 
At 8:19 pm, Blogger Katie said...

*** SEE A PODATRIST *** Sorry Gnomey did not want to yell but Tess is right- get onto that quick smart! Glad to hear your not panicy though... half the battle :-) Still lots of time to fix that little prob and you have such a good base you will be fine!

 
At 4:44 pm, Blogger 2P said...

A good taper is an important component of a marathon campaign Gnome ;-) Admittedly yours is looking a little extreme at this stage.....

Mate don't panic - get determined, find the cause and knock the bloody thing on the head.

Cheers mate - sending you positive and healing vibes ;-)

 
At 9:52 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Also being a honourary lifetime member of the Plantar Faciitis club, I would also encourage you to get your foot looked at. Don't be a goose like me and leave it until it gets too bad that you can't run for 3months.

Rebel Sport sell flotation belts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home