Sunday, February 19, 2006

Small change of plans

I had Saturday off as planned, but I decided to run with the Striders on Sunday morning instead of heading out to SMC. The way I saw it, what's the point of going to a race and not racing when everyone else is, when I could be running with a convivial group? Besides, the Striders have better food at the end :-)

I ran with Johnny Dark for the whole distance. Poor bloke, he asked a simple question at one stage - I warned him that the answer was long but he said that we had hours to go, so I ear-bashed him with the answer for the next 2 hours. If his ears are looking sore when you see him next, you'll know it was my fault :-)

It was supposed to be 29.5k, we took a wrong turn which added an extra k, but we still ended up 2k short at 27.5k in pretty much spot on 2h30m. I still don't know where the extra distance went! Overall pace was 5:30, but we did the last 8k at 5:00 or less. I'm not sure why we sped up - it must have been the tractor beam of all that food at the end :-)

The extra rest day on Saturday must have helped as I had no niggles until right near the end. However, behind my knee was a bit sore this afternoon, so I think that I'll try to get a precautionary appt with Dr Pain this week. Rest again tomorrow.

Overall for the week - 62km.
Average over last 5 weeks - 65km

5 Comments:

At 9:34 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Nice long and quick run Gnome - well done :-)

 
At 7:43 am, Blogger Katie said...

Go gnome!!! You looked pretty good at the end... especially with all that heat! Nice pace too :-)

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds like a great run Gnome. And what a strong finish - that's gotta be a good sign for Canberra!

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

I'm intrigued. What question could anyone possibly ask that takes 2 hours to answer?

 
At 5:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

There you are, Gnome...JD didn't mind at all! Looks like a good time for you in Canberra...coming up soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home