Saturday, May 06, 2006

I just don't understand me...

Last Tuesday, I made it to 5k before my knee started hurting. Wednesday I only got to 2.5k before it blew up (unfortunately by then I was 2k from home, so I ended up doing 4.5k, the last half in pain). Very unhappy, and not a little depressed. Tiger angel had her appointment with Dr Pain (more of this later) and so she secured an appointment for me next Monday. Knowing that there was no way that I'd be able to do Striders on Saturday, I figured that I'd do Run Club on Thursday simply because I could drop out whenever it got too much.

Given that the knee problems are actually related to too tight glute and back muscles, I started Run Club with some pretty solid glute & back stretches. The session was the regular 3k time trial. My pb of 12:03 was set about 6 months ago, and try as I might, I haven't been able to break the magic 12. Well, on Thursday night I ran 11:48, and my leg didn't trouble me at all!

On that basis I figured that it was worth giving the 10k a burl on Saturday, prefaced by the same stretch routine. I decided to head out at just under pb pace (4:20) and see what happened. What happened was that I sat pretty well smack on it. It got really hard to keep going from about 6k onwards - if it wasn't for a woman I was following (don't tell TA :-)), I would have fallen off for certain. She was great. If I slacked off for a moment she started to run away and I'd have to work to get her back. By 8k I was behind the 8 ball, and the 9th wasn't any better. It was just incredibly hard work. Then all of a sudden, some second wind cut in and I took off. The sky was blue, the sun was shining and running was easy (!!??). I did the last k in 3:45 to finish in 43:33, a 10 second pb. What's more, no knee pain!

So, in the space of a day, I went from not being able to run 2k to knocking over two pb's in 3 days. Like I said - I just don't understand me...
_____________________________________

On the tiger angel recovery front, there's been two pieces of good, if painful news. Number one was that the reason that her arm and back have been hurting for the last month is that she's had a couple of displaced (almost dislocated) ribs from overbalancing while hanging her bike up and the muscles around the area had locked up completely. The cure was more painful than the malady, but she's recovering well from the bruising now. The second bit of good news is that the docs have found she has underperforming adrenal and thyroid glands which may (should?) account for a lot of the lethargy and listlessness over the last half a year. Now we have a diagnosis, all we need is for the treatment to kick in and have a positive effect. We wait with bated breath and fingers crossed :-)

Gnome

11 Comments:

At 8:39 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Congrats Gnome on breaking two PB's in a week. Excellent. Tiger Angel good to hear you can start down the road to getting back running again.

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

Don't question the PBs, just revel in them!

I hope that TA finds a quick and easy treatment now that you have a diagnosis.

Good luck guys!

 
At 11:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea you ran such a significant PB in Thursday night. You need to get better at bragging. Well done on your PB yesterday too.

And the knee - go figure!!!!!?????

wt

 
At 5:02 pm, Blogger Robert Song said...

Great news for both of you.

I guess the PBs just show what you can do with a solid base and a good rest.

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations, that's some good running!
Nice to meet you at Striders. I also felt the pain through 7/8/9 only to have a strong(ish) final km.
All the best to TA and hope she is feeling better soon.

 
At 9:39 am, Blogger allrounder said...

ours is not to reason why...well done...

now TA can work on getting back to 100%...

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Well done team ! G, glad the knee is all better and happy to see TA on the mend !

 
At 12:28 pm, Blogger CJ said...

I have my fingers crossed for TA. Also glad to hear that you are on the improve too!

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger 26miles said...

Well done on the p.b. Bruce !
The 6-10 weeks after a marathon are a golden period for p.b's with a lot of runners doing quite well off the back of several months intense training. As for injuries - welcome to the world of the competitive runner - it's called hard training and you have to hurt to improve. I also believe that too much running at a significantly slower pace than what you would do by yourself, will in fact cause injury - you should hook up with Colin or Go girl and run with the hills running group - it would be very beneficial.

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Hey Knomey good news all round - PB's and TA on the mend.

Don't try and understand it mate - it hurts your head too much ;-)

 
At 5:33 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Great to catch up again on the weekend Gnomey. And thanks for the ride in the Gnome-mobile.

Congrats on the great PBs. Gee, if you can do 11:48 and 43:33 after that sort of week I wonder what sort of times you can run when everything goes right.

Best wishes to TA, hopefully everything will be sorted soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home