Thursday, May 18, 2006

Waiting for Sunday fun

I've kept it pretty short this week in deference to the SMH on Sunday. Tuesday was a mona fartlek with Angela (nice to have her back from all her traveling around). I covered exactly the same distance in the 20 minutes as I did last time that I did this in Feb (4.6km), and Ange managed about 50m more.

Wednesday was a nice 5.5k tempo run at 4:30 pace, and tonight we did a session in the park across in front of Drummoyne Rowers. 4 laps of approx 640m with increasing intensity for each lap. Then 4x 60m sprints followed by two more laps at 2nd highest intensity. Aerobically easier in the last two laps, but harder in terms of muscle fatigue. Oh, and of course I did the 25k ride to work this morning.

I won't do anything more until Sunday, not that I'm going to be pushing myself (physically, at least). The organisers asked Striders if they could supply some pacers, and not having TA to run with, and not feeling like beating myself up trying to get a PB on a crowded, hilly course, I offered my services. What I've ended up with is a group of 8 people who I am supposed to shepherd around in 120 min. The 120 is no concern and I know that I'm pretty good at setting a pace right from the start and sticking to it, but I'm still doing a bit of lying awake at night. I'd hate for someone to miss out on their best chance because of something dumb that I did.


I'll be right. It'll be fun. It always is :-)

Gnome

[edit - I've just found out that Horrie will be joining me on the 120 ferry. No more worries now. We'll have a ball!]

[2nd edit - I should also add that we are not going to be marked as pacers - the organisers are just trialing it this year and are worried about groups of people blocking up the narrow sections, so they have select groups of pace-ees who we will be introduced to before the race. I can't say that it's what I had in mind when I volunteered, but so be it...]

8 Comments:

At 8:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Bruce! The people you are pacing will be so appreciative of your help - I hope you have some fun too!

Siobhan

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Have fun out there. I can see that group of 8 turning into 80 once word gets around you are driving the 2 hour bus.

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger Ewen said...

I'll look out for you Bruce - it might be fun to run with the 120 group for a while.

I'll help tell everyone you're the 2 hour pacer!

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to start with you & Horrie, gnome!! Hoping to make it for the first 50 metres!!

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Good luck for Sunday! Looking forward to a pacer's report soon.

 
At 11:45 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Hey Gnome - have fun on Saturday - if at any time it looks like you are going to pass me give me a kick in the bum and tell me to stop bludging!

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Have a great fun on Sunday Gnome! I'm sure you'll do a great job as a pacer and it's great of you to volunteer. I'm sure you'll get them all in on time.

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger Superflake said...

Your other 120 pacer was hydrating himself well last night at the dinner. Have fun Bruce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home