Saturday, September 24, 2005

What a day!

BIG day, which really started last night. CR drinks in town. Much fun, with lots of yelling over all the conversation noise. Got away some time after midnight, which isn't a great preparation for the CR 5k challenge, but it's a whole lot better than some of people who were there!! :-)

TA wasn't able to do the run this morning because of other committments, so she got to sleep in for a bit. I got up at about 5:30 (after 4 1/2 hours sleep) to have some breakfast and head in to the bay. As expected, it wasn't a large roll-up, and the energy levels were well down. I was having some difficulty in keeping myself subdued, because I'd been looking forward to this for two months, and I had an idea that I was probably on to something (un-optimum preparation notwithstanding). When we finally prepared to get going I was really pleased to find that Uncle Dave was going to pace Papa Luigi off my chosen start of 22 minutes.

My basic aim was to beat my 21:50 pb, my 'really happy' goal was to go 21:30, and I told a few people last night that if I could get 20:anything, I'd be over the moon! I thought that Dave went out too hard and almost dropped off the back to conserve myself, but I realised at the 500m mark that he was spot on the 4:15 goal pace. I trailed for the first few k's, and took the lead for the 3rd and 4th. Dave held a rock solid 4:15 at every k. Got a bit of a fright at the start of the last when Papa Luigi went past me, but I hung on, and found something I didn't know I had in the last couple of hundred to do a 4 minute k for an all up 20:59.35. Yep, that's Over-The-Moon stuff :-) :-0 :-) (I actually haven't cleared my watch yet. I kept on looking at it during the day to make sure that's what I really did. Sad, eh? :-)

Home and housework (and a bit of a kip) before heading off to my sisters to watch the Swannies work their magic. That was some Grand Final! 4 points, and it could have gone either way right up to the last second. I'm glad that my fitness levels are reasonable. Otherwise, I think that my heart rate would have gone into total overload!

Off now to a much-needed (and dare I say well deserved) bed to dream of PBs and premierships. What a day!

sfG

3 Comments:

At 10:39 am, Blogger Jen said...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Woohoo. Well done Gnome on a SENSATIONAL yesterday. So what's next - sub:20???

J

 
At 3:57 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

I thought of you after the Grand Final, Gnome. What an awesome day - huge PB and the premiership. Top stuff.

 
At 3:15 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

What a great day you had.. and you deserve it.. especially after CR drinks as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home