Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Revenge on HBH

What a difference a year makes. This time last year, TA had just fallen from her bike and broken her wrist and her face, and I was faced with running the C2S on my own. This, of course, allowed me all sorts of grandiose ideas of a super fast time (based on the sum total of one 2km run around the block). Needless to say, about 2k into the real run that year I started to realise the size of my error, and I became progressively more and more depressed as the morning dragged on, swearing that I'd never, never do that stupid race ever again.

Luckily, emotions like that fade fairly quickly. Even more luckily, TA persuaded me to get involved in this run club thing that she'd read about. That lead to an increasing involvement in CR and Striders races, and a lot more disciplined training. Thus, this year I approached the race with knowledge and experience as a foundation for my dreams. Like I said - what a difference a year makes!

I had a perfect build up week. No niggles. Really good nutrition and hydration over the last 3 days. Good (for me) sleeps the previous two nights, and a really solid 3k time trial on the Thursday previous. I just knew that it was going to go well, and did it ever :-) :-)

The start was fantastic. The organisers are to be congratulated on splitting the A group in two, and erecting the barriers that stopped all the people pushing in from the side so that we were able to walk immediately, and be runing within 20 metres or so. I got a shock when I saw TA sooner than I expected, but on reflection it made perfect sense. Heartbreak Hill lost its reputation for once and for all, and I just flew along Campbell Parade. What a buzz! Published time was 66:51 in 3329th place, for a 14minute pb.

But the best was yet to come. I just had time to grab a drink and a sanger from the esky, looked up, and there was TA, fresh in from her 76minute triumph. I think that I ran faster to her than I had anytime on the race. I don't think that it's possible to more proud of someone than I am of her. What she has achieved over the last three years is incredible, but I have the feeling that it's nothing on what's coming...

Like I said - What a difference a year makes.

sfG

5 Comments:

At 8:56 am, Blogger Jen said...

Yah!!! What a difference a year makes. Congratulations to you both on a fantastic race and on all of your (many) achievements of the last year. I look forward to reading about, and celebrating with you both, many more great achievements and PBs in the years to come. J

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger allrounder said...

great story Gnome, especially the bit about your speed to get to TA after the race!

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Cirque said...

What a lovely race report Gnome. I can't wait to hear what you and TA have to report after next year's race.

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Nice post Gnome! Its interesting that we both had such different approaches to the same race yet both had such rewarding experiences. I wonder what I will do in 2006?

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Well done to you both, tremendous improvements. It was great to meet you at the Striders tent, sounds like we'll be able to catch up again soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home