Thursday, August 11, 2005

Uncontrollable

TA's first words to me when we got in the car after run club were "you've got to stop saying in the blog that you aren't going to pb..." as if I was somehow practicing some devious kind of reverse psychology on myself. I wasn't, really. I honestly thought that I'd run the time trial at a comfortable pace and not risk myself, but I hadn't counted on the wind...

Our TT is run on a 500m stretch alongside Iron Cove, so we go up & back 3 times. Tonight, the (very cold) wind was blowing straight along the track. Consequently, the first 500 was lovely and easy so we went out at a cracking pace. The turn into the wind was tough, but the time on the first km was pretty encouraging and the next leg down wind was easy again, so...

All thoughts about taking it easy just got blown away like they weren't there. I didn't have anyone to chase (all the fast blokes were having a night off) so I just concentrated on keeping the cadence high and the form good. 2nd km split was less encouraging, but the run down wind was easy, so...

Flat chat for the last 500 into the gale - I think it's the hardest I've ever worked. Paul had been a few metres behind through the whole run, and he put in the most amazing sprint over the last 100 to just blow me away! In my dreams I can sprint at the end of a race, but tonight I didn't have a single spare gram of run left in me. It was a fantastic end to a fantastic run.

16 seconds off the pb for a 12:03! Sooooo close to the 4 minute km, and soooooo far ahead of anything I ever thought I'd be able to achieve. I'm very, very happy, and very, very, very tired. Hope I recover by Sunday...

I'll leave TA to report on her run because I couldn't do it justice and she's gone to bed early (did I say anything about being tired :-)

sfG

2 Comments:

At 9:46 am, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo!! Congratulations on your latest PB Gnone. All your hard work is certainly paying off. See you on Sunday! J

 
At 10:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fact that you had nothing left to answer paul with was an indication that you ran the TT perfectly.well done.
tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home