Sunday, July 31, 2005

2 Runs and 3 PBs

[Caution, long report - but it took me much longer to write it than for you to read it :-)]

This weekend was a double bunger. We had the CR5k on Saturday morning and the Bay Run on Sunday. So it meant being up at 6am both days to be at the Bay by 7am.

We got to Drummoyne rowers in plenty of time Saturday morning and went for a quick warmup run. I managed to bring my breakfast up during this but thought nothing of it.I started in the 25min group with Caro and a couple of others and felt ok in the first k but from there on the 'stomach discomfort'( as nicely put by vat-man) began. I knew I was a bit slower than last month and just aimed to do sub 25. Got to the end at 24.53 and went straight to hang over the fence. Mr G came up next to me and gave me the look as if to say "Well done, you look stuffed!" He was sooo lucky not to get a technicolour answer.

I remember thinking at the 4k mark that at least Gnome hadn't caught me like last time but that was because he started a minute later this time. He is really running well at the moment and managed to bring home another 18sec PB to do 21.53. He said he ran alot of it with a guy named George from NZ and they were able to help push each other. He later told me he managed to eat enough for me as well at the post run breakky. Well, at least one of us was eating.

After work I went to MicroTA's footy game. He is a pleasure to watch these days. His coach has developed him into the dominant fullback and with the improved fitness and confidence in himself that has developed since going to runclub he is exciting to watch. He knows how to contest the ball and usually wins it over the full forward and is then able to clear it away, sending it up the field efficiently. Yesterday he was on fire and to top it off he was only 1 of 2 boys of a team of 20 that stretched down while the coach did his post game summary - another thing he has learnt from runclub.

Later that night we enjoyed a house warming at Wildthing's with Caro and Owl and then we met up with Caro and Owl at 7am Sunday morning to go to the Bay run (7k).

Still not feeling 100% my hopes were not high for today. Gnome wasn't particularly motivated by this race so was happy to just wing it. Secretly I hoped for 35 something but was prepared to expect 37+. We caught up with Munch, Andrew, Patch and the Professor before heading off for a warmup. Just before the boys started Tim found Owl, Lorna and myself and wished us luck and promised to cheer us on the course.

I just kept a steady pace and was strangely comforted when I reached the CR5k markers. These gave me a chance to check my pacing but at the same time put me off distance wise. I remember thinking I must have been about halfway and my watch said 20mins and I was so disappointed. Then I saw the 2k mark and realised it was under 3ks to the end and 35 was a chance. Spirits up I headed home. Saw Tim on the home stretch and suggested he run with me but no. Instead he told me I was strong and to kick it home. So dutifully I obeyed the trainer and came home in 35.31. YES!!! A new PB and Gnome had one too at 31:30(ish) . He said he enjoyed the sensation of choosing someone and picking them off ( me too!) and at the CR3k he overtook a guy who latched onto him but was pleased to kick in over the bridge and drop him.

Met up with Moondust at the end (who'd come to cheer) and then Owl, Caro and ourselves dumped our bags in the car and did another warmdown lap of the bay before heading off for a well wanted breakfast.

Another great weekend over. Next Saturday is Lane Cove Striders and another attempt to do better on the long hill.

TA

4 Comments:

At 11:19 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Man that sounds like a full on weekend. I hope you get to rest at some point!

 
At 10:55 am, Blogger CJ said...

Well done! Isn't it great when you run a PB and you do it more than once, wow!

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger 26miles said...

Congratulations on some solid running guys - I saw you yesterday, I was at Callan Park yelling instructions to Bella's soccer team as you 2, Caro and the Owl ran by.

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

Top effort guys. Well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home