Thursday, July 14, 2005

Getting better

Run club 3k time trial. Tim asked TA before the session "how's your throat? Are you sure it's better?". TA doesn't lie. Her throat is better. Really? Really! She just didn't mention the ongoing gastric attacks :-)

Anyhow, after the normal stretches, drills, runthroughs, etc, we wandered over to the start line. Tim put the mockers on me by predicting sub-12minute. The thought was in the back of my mind, but I put it in the 'pretty unlikely' category. TA was hoping for any kind of PB after being a few seconds outside in every run she's done lately. I call it consistency. I think that she has other names for it.

Last time I went out too fast and died progressively and badly through the run, so I worked on starting a little more sensibly this time. I wanted a 4:05 for the first, and was happy enough when it was 4:10. Picking it up, the second was 4:05. Hmmm. OK as a time, but I was now 15 seconds behind Tim's goal. That's OK. I'll do a 4:00 home and get the 12:15 I was really hoping for. Unfortunately, although I thought that I was going quite a bit faster, that last k was also 4:05(ish), giving me a 12:19 overall and an 11 second pb. Let me review. My pacing was even. I negative split. I pb'd. So why am I so ticked off about a missing 4 seconds?? Dumb, dumb gnome :-(

TA likewise ran a really good even race, missing her pb (again!) by just 8 seconds. However, the first and third k's were the fastest that she's ever done (with the exception of the first at the last time trial were she, along with every one else, went out way too hard), so all up it was still a very good run. The thing that pleased her the most was that she felt comfortable all the way (working hard, but comfortable) for the first time in a race. I get the feeling that we're on the cusp of something new :-)

sfG

2 Comments:

At 8:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was a fantastic effort by both of you guys. i didn't mean to put the 'mockers' on you ;)
sub 11.30 for trhe next one!!

 
At 10:55 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Well done you two - you pair of over-achievers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home