Thursday, August 04, 2005

We couldn't finish early, could we... :-)

Auntie Karin joined us at Run Club tonight, and welcome back too to Rob (Mr Wildthing). Gee it was great to have you back in your rightful place at the head of the field :-)

A different session tonight, and it felt quite strange to start with. After the normal 800m warmup and stretches, we normally do multiple reps of drills where each goes for maybe 20m followed by a 20m runthough. However, tonight we did;
- a single drill (buttkicks) with a 400(!!)m runthrough
- 1200m picking up the pace every 400
- another single drill (hands behind head) and the 400m runthrough,
- 800m pickups
- another drill (high knees - glad we didn't have to do them for 400m :-) and the now-obligatory 400m runthrough.
- a final 800m pickup.

This all went a bit quicker than expected, so Tim decided to finish off with five sets of one minute hard, 30 sec standing recovery, before all the normal strength and stretching exercises. These intervals are fun, because you can go as hard as you like knowing pretty much when the whistle will blow and you can stop.

Tim ran with Rob for part of the 1200, and then with me in the first of the 800s, pacing me to really pick it up in the second half. That was hard work! My legs felt really fatigued by the end of that 400, but the rest of me held together OK (I wonder what effect the 25km ride in the morning has on my run club performance?).

TA thought she did "OK" but nothing out of the ordinary until she started looking back through her training diary. There she found that a month ago she did some 1200s in 6:06 while tonight she did them in 5:42 (ie a 4:45/km pace). So cool!

Rest again tomorrow, then the Striders 10k on Saturday down at Lane Cove. This is where we set our pb last time, and I've seen such a change in how TA takes the hills in the last couple of months that I'm really excited about this one. (I'm also going to be dead meat when she reads this because she'll think that I'm putting the pressure on, but I'm not, really. I just know, better than she does, how good she really is :-) :-)

sfG

3 Comments:

At 8:58 am, Blogger miners said...

This Run Club thing is just getting better and better isn't it? Great to see a few of you recording quicker and stronger results as the weeks pass - great run for TA.

Must get along there next time I have a mid-week Sydney visit

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Go TA and the Gnome.. I'm betting on a top run and PBs from both of you.

 
At 9:49 pm, Blogger CJ said...

TA's doing really well - that's a great improvement in the 1200s. And good luck to both of you for the sunday run - sounds like you guys might do well again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home