Saturday, September 03, 2005

Do Nothing Fatal

After stopping me at Thursday runclub session, Tim sent me home to rest and with strict instructions not to do Striders. But at work on Friday I ignored my own good advice and doped up on some stronger meds so I could give the 10k a go.

On the way I confessed to Gnome that I probably shouldn't run but he just asked me my race plan. 'Start and hopefully finish :-)'. He suggested I do 5.05's which would mean a 40sec PB. The first 4 k's were all 5.06 and felt alright. The next k I knew I was losing it and when at the 5k my split was 5.16, I told Gnome to go off on his own. He suggested we go slower and forget the time but I said no I was a DNF. He gradually pulled away and I nearly yelled "forget it I'm coming" but for once I listened to the wise part of me. Coughed and shivered for the next half hour or so but got to watch MadGuz do his 30.06PB and many other CRs finish strongly. Gnome found a new girl to run with and came home in sub 49.

We enjoyed breakfast with about 15 other CRs and then went home to take MicroTA to his AFL Grand Final. They were in command from the start and won their third priemership in a row.
The team has had the same coach for the last four years and he has developed each boy individually yet created an amazing team atmosphere. Micro used to only play 2-3 quarters a game and each year his review praised his fullback skills but commented he needed to work on running. So last October we took him to RunClub with us. This year he has only missed 2 quarters the whole season and today played the full final. This proud mum's heart soared when he outran the full forward constantly and kicked, handballed or punched the ball back up towards his team's end.

Even better is, he finally admitted he enjoys RunClub and as a result intends to keep coming because one day he wants to play senior AFL.

TA

5 Comments:

At 7:30 pm, Blogger Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that you still aren't quite 100% but I think the "Do Nothing Fatal" was the right and sensible thing for you today given that the Half is only 8 sleeps away. Rest up and take care of yourself. I'm looking forward to seeing you next Sunday. J

 
At 9:44 pm, Blogger Bennyr said...

Congrats to Micro TA!

Take care of yourself and I'll see you next Sunday.

 
At 4:59 pm, Blogger CJ said...

Great photo - you should be really proud of MicroTA! And sounds like you did the right thing by DNFing TA - hope you're feeling better now. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to run but sensibly probably shouldn't (ie I'm great at giving advice but hopeless taking it!) Take care and hope to see you next Sunday!

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger allrounder said...

congrats to MicroTA, that's a fantastic photo & great story about his improvement...

hope you feel better soon...

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger Gronk said...

Hope your on the mend soon TA. Congrats to Micro on the win too.

See you both on Sunday. Gronk :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home