Sunday, October 09, 2005

He's BACK!! (sorta, kinda)

Strictly following my physio's instructions, I walked 3k yesterday, and did it again tonight, this time jogging a few hundred metres at a time. No twinges. Not a sausage. None. Much relief. I'll do a gentle shortish jog tomorrow while TA is doing her 12k, and assuming that once again nothing happens, gradually build it up again.

Today's very early (5:30am) morning activities were fun. Given that I couldn't do the Striders' half and TA wasn't going to, we offered to be course marshalls. I ended up on the drink station at the top of the course. This went smoothly enough for most of the race but, given that it was a handicap, there was destined to be a very big block of runners arriving simultaneously at my table towards the race's end - and very thirsty runners at that! In the break prior to that I set out 50 cups (all the table would hold), and when they hit I was down to 3 before I could say "hang on, I'll fill some more". I yelled to TA for help (she was marshalling at the turn-around about 20m up the hill) and I filled while she handed out so we got through it, just. Still, while it was fun, I felt a few twinges of envy that I wasn't running... Ah well...

Apart from that, it's been a strange weekend. Footy season is over, but house fixing-up season hasn't started yet, so with the enforced lack of physical activity I've been at a pretty loose end. Mostly I've just sat and read - made a start on the big pile of reading matter that builds up through the year in preparation for the post Christmas lethargy - and watched most of the Bathurst races (after Church, which was after the half). Unfortunately, instead of feeling rested and relaxed, I just feel like I haven't achieved anything with my weekend. Maybe it takes more than a weekend to relax.

sfG

7 Comments:

At 7:44 am, Blogger Katie said...

Yeah... glad to hear no pain. Look after yourself and you will be up and runnning in no time :)

 
At 8:22 am, Blogger Horrie said...

Good to see that you were out there as marshalls yesterday. Next best thing when you can't be running. Be patient Bruce. You will be back better than ever before you know it. TA, make sure he takes it easy for a while.

 
At 8:35 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Good that you helped out in such a big way when you couldn't run. I've worked on water tables before but never when there's that scary prospect of a squillion runners coming through at once!

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Jen said...

Good to hear that you are back (kinda/sorta) on the road Gnome. See you at Central Coast!

J.

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger Dave said...

Thanks for helping out with the drinks!

I can imagine it would have been a bit chaotic second lap, I for one was really needing some water by then.

Good to hear the injury is on the improve, heaps of time before CC!

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Lulu said...

Glad to hear the calf is on the mend. The lulu household knows all about torn calf muscles. Mr Lulu found that some acupuncture speeded the recovery.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger silverfox said...

Great stuff, glad to hear of people coming good. Bruce I have had exactly the same thing, just make sure you are patient. Catch you both again (both running hopefully) at lane Cove in November!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home