Sunday, June 26, 2005

I need a weekend after this weekend...

Sunday night and I'm exhausted. I think I need a lazy weekend :-)

Saturday morning was the monthly CR 5k. Not as cold as I expected, but much wetter (I'm an optimist :-). Still, the lovely double rainbow half way around made the water worthwhile (OK. Don't shoot me for not wanting it to rain. I love rain - think it should fall everywhere it's needed in all the quantities that are needed - just not on me early on a cold morning!!)

I set a fairly solid pb of 22:50 last time using the unsubtle technique of running as hard as I could till I got to the finish line. Now, this is probably indicative of my lack of mental toughness, but I really don't like running that way - it hurts too much. This time, I decided to try some of the stuff that Tim has been trying to teach me for the last six months (who said I'm a slow learner :-) regarding what he calls 'clawback' (I call it leg lift). This is basically just making sure that each pace finishes with the heel up in the air behind you rather than near the ground. I've tried it plenty of times, but it makes me run faster, and then my brain tells me to slow down because I have to pace myself. Of course, if it is more efficient, then I don't have to slow down, but I could never bring myself to keep going and find out. During the week I decided that Saturday was going to be experiment day.

I went out with the 23 minute group (myself, Psychoma and L'il Elf). We ran strongly through the first 2k's a little faster than I expected, but not so fast as to make me worry. Unfortunately, both Psychoma and L'il Elf suffered shoelace malfunctions and had to stop briefly, leaving me to continue on my own. It's amazing just how much difference a running partner makes. As soon as I was by myself, my breathing felt laboured and my legs heavy. Anyhow, I concentrated on keeping the leg lift going and pretty soon noticed tiger angel up ahead (she'd started at 25 minutes by herself, which is tough). I got to her just before the 4k marker, by which time I had my second wind and I pushed home in 4:16 for a 40 second pb of 22:11. Very very happy gnome. The best part was that I really didn't feel too stuffed while doing it, so maybe there's something in this 'technique' business after all :-)

The run back to breakfast was nice. I had the opportunity to run with Owl and Caro for a little while, and then Martina for the bulk of the way. Breakfast lived up to expectations - I love those blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and cream. Healthy, huh! :-)

Watched MicroTA's footy match, then went home and collapsed on the bed for the next 3 hours - I think my body was trying to tell me something - then got up, prepared and went to watch the fabulous Swannies put that Collingwood mob in their place, despite some of the most inexplicable umpiring that this very umpire-friendly writer has ever seen. Anyhow, all's well that ends well. (Get home and collapse in bed again).

Sunday morning was church, followed by lunch and shopping with number one daughter. Finally at about 3:30 TA and I went for a 2 hour run. It's funny to think how we once thought it pretty magnificent to be able to run up to the shops (a fraction over 1k) and them, what's more, run home again! Now it seems that we're doing just short of a half marathon every week. Weird.

We went out through Pennant Hills, along the back road up to Hornsby (very hilly) and then back down the highway to home. We managed to get honked twice, high-beam flashed once and have "Hey Sexy" yelled out the window in the space of about 30 minutes. I can only presume that this had nothing to do with TA's lissome figure in skin tight lycra, but was more aimed at my new running tights under shorts :-)

Now, I should be in bed, but I really had to catch up on the blog, so I'll start a new work week exhausted yet again... Lucky this running's so healthy :-)

sfG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home