Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Stick to the Session.

In the past if it was raining it seemed a good idea to go to the gym or call a rest day but not now. There's a programme to follow or friends to meet and the weather is irrelevant unless you're getting over pneumonia!

Saturday morning was the CR5k. I had no great plans for this one and with no one else in my time I decided to try for fairly even splits. They were 24.56,24.58,25.02,24.56 and 24.52. Not bad heh :-). 14secs off my PB but I was really happy to run all but one k sub 5min. I'm starting to get consistency.

With Tim starting to return to good health but the weather being so iffy our mobiles ran hot on Saturday wondering whether we'd get a session in at 4pm. 3pm was decision deadline and with no rain for an hour or so we grabbed the chance. After a 2 lap easy jog Tim explained the session and that there was 2 parts to it. First part was weights covering the total body. We used low weights but did high reps and supersetted the exercises for most body parts.

The second half of the session was leg strength. For this we jogged down to the far end of Balmain Shores and I realised we were heading to the *nasty* hill at the end. Tim set up 4 cones going about halfway up the hill. We'd done a session like this in run club once before and you go around the first cone and back to the start, round the second and back to the start, etc. The first set was walked hard. The second set was a firm jog to each cone but walk down each time (no running down as it wasn't the point of the exercise - 'Stick to the session- another Timism :-) We repeated these 2 sets and Tim said 'that's enough.' Started to head back to the park but then Tim turned left and said 'Now it's stairwork'. Yes !! exclaims me punching the air. This weirdo loves stairs. First set I had to walk every second step placing the whole foot on the step. Second set was to run them.(At this point some guy on a balcony yelled out to Tim that that was cruel!) Third set was same as the first. I wanted to do more but "Stick to the session" so we did some ab work and it was over. Hopped in the car to come home and the rain started again.

Sunday was our long run as Gnome described. I found out who one of the car beeps came from when I got a text from Matt (old trainer) this morning. He was heading up the coast to see his grandparents yesterday and saw us running in the rain. 'Great to see the committment' was his opening line.

Today, Monday , was to be a rest day but managed to talk Tim into letting me 'paddle' about. This week I started as the only person in the pool. It was cold and so misty I couldn't even see the end of the pool but I knew it existed. A little while later I noticed guys in the lanes either side of me but then there was a guy in my lane!! Why choose my lane when there were 5 free lanes. Doesn't this guy get it. Fortunately we swam at different paces and he quit before me. I felt a bit more confident in the water this week and my arms certainly feel stronger than they used too.

12k's tomorrow and the luxury of choosing when I want to do it and not having to fit it in around work :-).

TA

1 Comments:

At 5:00 pm, Blogger miners said...

oh, the luxury of not having to fit a run in around work!

Great race report from Saturday btw - wish I could have stayed in Sydney 1 more day to be there and meet you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home